• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card Cold Boot Problem?? Please Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

a read somewhere that some people have "cold boot" problems with there video card, im not quite sure what it is. I heard somewhere that the video card has to "warm up" sometimes. please clarify this for me.

i have a BFG 6800 GT overclocked to 400/1100. About every 3-5 times when i turn on the computer, everything turns on (fans spin, HDD activity), but the monitor doesnt show a signal (the LED turns orange). i know its not the monitor, the same thing happened when i tried with another monitor. this began to happen when i changed my 5900 Ultra to the 6800 GT.

Has this happened to anyone else? What are some possible solutions to this? Raising the AGP Voltage to 1.6-1.65 from a default 1.55 ? Could it be the DVI cable? Could it be the monitor (Sony 19" LCD SDM-HS94P) needs time to "warm up" ?? Please help!! any input would be appreciated.

I had that happen to one of my Geforce Ti4200's after I installed a stock AMD heatsink and fan. I just reset the heatsink, cleaned up my thermal paste better and it works fine. Also if that does not work, try using the other monitor hook ups. Get an adapter to the white to make it into a blue thing (No idea what they are called).

I had the same thing happen....which turn out as cpu test failed error when i connected the speakers to the onboard audio....I thought my 9800 pro died. IMO i think getting a stronger psu will solve the issue. Since everything squeezes the watts out of psu during boot up escpecially the graphic cards nowadays......

ok.....

heres the situation again, my computer is watercooled, im im sure its not thermal issues. i have a 520w SilenX power supply, and i dont think its that either.

Has this happened to anyone else? What are some possible solutions to this? Raising the AGP Voltage to 1.6-1.65 from a default 1.55 ? Could it be the DVI cable? Could it be the monitor (Sony 19" LCD SDM-HS94P) needs time to "warm up" ?? Please help!! any input would be appreciated.

I highly doubt it's the monitor based on the orange LED and how the same symptom occurs with a different monitor. The DVI cable could be an issue, but if it consistantly requres 2-3 tries (and almost comes on immediatly), then I'd rule that out as well.

I'd try upping the AGP voltage like stratcatprowlin said. It usually helps in these cases.
JigPu

Back