• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix LTSP 2.0 release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overdoze

Software to build the cheapest farm has been updated.

You can download ISO image here to create the boot cdrom
check sum is here
Document is also included in the cdrom. The latest document can be found here

The FAQ of the document is posted here to answer some of your questions

* How do I monitor the Folding Farm?

You can monitor folding progress on each layer from a window box using EMIII by add a box and browse to My Network Places -> Entire Network-> Microsoft Window Network-> Fahome-> Overclockix Folding server-> FAH -> [each clientip]-> FAHConsole.exe. The username is knoppix and password is also knoppix.

* How do I control the Folding farm remotely via VNC ?

Type in the Konsole vncserver and give it a password. You can then view the server desktop from another PC using RealVNC software. Typein server ipaddress follow by :1 like 192.168.0.200:1

* What is Konsole?

It is also called Teminal Program where you type in command. It is the sixth icon from the left in the bottom taskbar.

* How do I start/stop/restart folding process of the server or each client?

Click the Folding_Service.exe file located in each folder under /home/knoppix/FAH directory

* Can I shut off each layer without disrupting others in the farm?

Yes, and just shutdown the PSU power switch. Once turn on it will resume folding. You could also reboot it remotely by click on the Folding_Service.exe file under the client folder and type in reboot

* How can I change the flags of each client?

Modify the file flags under each folder and restart the folding service

* How can I upgrade the Folding Console to newer version?

Download the latest Window text console from stanford and rename it to FAHConsole.exe. Then place it under /home/knoppix/FAH/server directory and restart folding process for each PC including the server. All clients will update following the server automatically.

* How do I fold 2 instants in a peticular client?

Just create another folder and name it the client number with _2 at the end of the name like 239_2 and restart folding service on that client. Note that the server will always fold 2 instants so the clients can copy the configs file from there.

* How do I switch folding username or folding team?

Edit the file /home/knoppix/FAH/server/client.cfg and /home/knoppix/FAH/server_2/client.cfg . This applies to the whole farm.

* Can I fold with just this cdrom no hardrive, no client?

Yes, without pen drive or install to hardrive, you will loose the WU if rebooted since everything is stored in ram. If you have a USB pendrive you can create persistent home under Knoppix->Configure taskbar, reboot with home=scan option. That way you will not loose the WU at powerdown.

* Can I exchange WU with other windows computers or between different clients?

yes, all you need to do is stop the folding service, delete the file queue.dat, folder work, then copy the file queue.dat and work directory from somewhere the client folder and start the folding service again.

* Can I test my overclockability before making it a folding client?

Absolutely, boot the client with this cdrom without network connection and use prime95 to test as described under Part III.

* Can I use the server as a PC?

Certainly can, it is pack with every software needed for a computer (1.8GB of software). From dvdrom, cdrom burner software to browser, Openoffice for documents, movie player, mp3 player, Graphic editor, screen capture, Yahoo messenger etc. Check out the KDE start menu and you will find them.

snapshot1.jpg

Last edited:
arkaine23 will fix it so that it appear on the main website. It is coming soon

/me fixes it now....

And now the server is cut off. But the link is updated and I added a link to the instruction manual too. Hoope my lack of html skills did not break the page...

Go to the home page- http://overclockix.octeams.com
Look for the LTSP announcement, info popup, instruction manual and d/l link.

(BTW, can anybody figure out what I did to mess up my site's tables?)

Last edited:
I just hosed my overclockix when i did an apt-get update and install. Now i can finally try this version.

It has alot of the same things as the overclockix right? I love all that has in it.

Hmmm, It's got superkaramba and the folding monitor theme. If you want fancy icons themes and other stuff, you can download it from me. Just ask via PM.

And since this realease of Overclockix LTSP is meant for a HDD-install, you can easily apt-get install any application like firefox or thunderbird which might not be included.

Last edited:
Woohoo..way to go Overdoze!.....I loved version 1, version 2 will be better.....just have to wait until Oct/Nov to get the farms up again.........

paps

also thanks arkaine for all that you've contributed too...can't wait to get a live yoder!

Any idea why i get 99 99 99 99 when i reboot after a hd install? I chose partition lilo because i have a 20gig with xp and this trying to dual boot.

hmmm, boot from cd, mount your / for OCix and post the contents of /etc/lilo.conf

Actually, playing around with this on a HD install, makes me want to trash windozzzze and move to Linux. This would be on my machines only as my kids & wife would have problems with linux.....Not to mention the morons at work :p not to mention the crap our vendors do on the web that work on IE only :mad:

If a lot of people have the same opinion as you. The world probably already switch to linux. no antivirus software to worry about either ehehe
Glad you like it. Thanks.

I've converted all of my home farms (except my two gaming/benchmarking rigs they are dual boot XP/Gentoo) over to Linux either Mandrake 10, Overclockix, OverclockixLTSP and Gentoo. I have all the latest Linux distros (except Arkaines Yoder distro) and like those the best. I will try Yoder as well. I even converted my wife's box from XP to Mandrake when she was away for 2 weeks (though I had to save all her ebay and emails files and import them back into Mandrake) but she likes it better than XP.....

paps

Back