• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can the 8KHA fan headers handle a Delta?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proze

anyone running a delta 38cfm fan on an 8kha? i know these fans burned a few headers in their day, and was wondering if the modern boards can all source enough current?

yeah, i could, but it's extra hassle i don't need!! i don't wanna blow anything, and this low cfm sunon is giving me nasty temps.. i want my delta back!! :( :(

verdict...

mailed tech support, and got a nice swift reply: the 8kha's headers can only provide 5w at 12v, so it's not enough for the delta (5.76w).

'tis okay, though: went to an electronics store this afternoon and bought a 4-pin y-splitter and male and female 3-pin connectors. snip, 5 mins with the soldering iron and some heatshrink tubing and i have a 3- to 4-pin adapter with a connector for rpm monitoring.

sorted.

Excellent! The Delta 38's draw too much current to safely plug them into ANY mainboard's three-pin fan header. Dunno why the ding-dongs at Delta supply 'em with the three-pin power connectors. You can now get adapters that have the three-pin plug(with one wire only- for RPM monitoring) as well as the Molex connector to plug into the main power "daisy-chain." $4. Worth it, in my opinion.

I guess most of the boards wont allow a Delta to be plugged in directly so its better to get power directly from the supply itself. I plugged my Delta on my MSI K7T Turbo LE once and on one fine day, it stopped running. Got a new one from the warranty claim tho'

I'm probably nuts also but I currently have three WBK38's plugged into the headers. One each on an A7V, A7V133 and an AD11. I've been worried about this, I'll probably change them after the next show.

i wouldn't worry about the asus boards. the a7v and family can handle the deltas. not sure about the fic board, though.

i have been using a delta fan on the 8kha board for around 3 days already...no problem so far....so should i use a 3 to 4 pin connector?

i'd advise it. the epox tech-guy said they can only provide 5w. the delta needs 5.76w. it might not do anything to your mobo, but then again, it might. i'm using an adapter just to play it safe.

proze said:
i'd advise it. the epox tech-guy said they can only provide 5w. the delta needs 5.76w. it might not do anything to your mobo, but then again, it might. i'm using an adapter just to play it safe.

I measured 6.72W when I calculated it from current, resistance and voltage. So I think that power supply has a great part to play in this. If you have a good power supply you stand less chance of hurting anything.

proze said:
i wouldn't worry about the asus boards. the a7v and family can handle the deltas. not sure about the fic board, though.

FIC boards cannot handle themselves, let alone a DELTA !!!

Back