• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Raising AGP Voltage Harm Video card/Computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquid_Cooled

If i raise the AGP voltage (through the BIOS) to 1.6v or 1.65 from a default 1.55, will this have negative affects on the video card or overall system stablity?

Some people say it could be dangerous, and others say its fine.

don't raise it too high, shouldn't effect anything except for may a little more heat, which is obvious, i feed my GT 1.6V

No........Your card has a volt signal for example .8V. No matter how much volt you pump through the vagp. It wont go anywhere but to the nearest circuit which is your NB........

im talking about the AGP voltage that you can set throught BIOS. NOT the video card voltage (which is determined by your VIDEO CARD BIOS).

so IS it safe to raise the AGP voltage to 1.6 or 1.65 instead of a default 1.55 ? im having cold boot problems with my video card so this may solve my problem, but i want to know if it is safe or not.

id give 1.6 a run and if things seem better, leave it at that, if not, try 1.65, if still no improvement, then just set it back to stock, the problem lies elsewhere

i havent heard of a vid card burning up from raising the agp voltage yet. not saying nobody has but i havent heard of it.
i have run mine at 1.7 for extended periods of time without any problems.
i have heard of someone running it at 1.8 without issue's also.
i know that it will give the nb more voltage which may help bring the fsb up higher. but remember with more voltage means more heat.
what components it heats up on the vid card im not sure, but it probably does add a strain to some resistors.

Yeah, there's not much point to raising the voltage unless you are overclocking the AGP bus speed or your mobo or video card has some bad pins that don't conduct as well as they used to...

I'd certainly give it a try, but if it doesn't help any then I wouldn't leave it that high. It's like when you oc your cpu. You may be able to get an athlon xp-m stable up to 2.7ghz with 1.875v or whatever but it won't go any faster no matter how much voltage you throw at it, so why run it at 1.9v?

Liquid_Cooled said:
im talking about the AGP voltage that you can set throught BIOS. NOT the video card voltage (which is determined by your VIDEO CARD BIOS).

so IS it safe to raise the AGP voltage to 1.6 or 1.65 instead of a default 1.55 ? im having cold boot problems with my video card so this may solve my problem, but i want to know if it is safe or not.

Vagp and AGP voltage in bios are 2 exact same settings!!!!! :D :D :D If you happen to fry your card or board setting it to 1.65V Vagp shoot me a pm and i'll replace'm for you, if that in any way makes you feel better.....This topic has been discussed too many times......Do a search next time.

Last edited:
You actually need to make sure you have good cooling on your north bridge when upping the apg voltage. Like said above, the agp slot and north bridge share. I would consider 1.7v to be the max.

i have run mine at 2.1, it´s help me to take my 2.4 to 3.75 :). :attn:
You need to have a good cooling in your nb, becouse it´s get very hot.

XFactorX said:
i have run mine at 2.1, it´s help me to take my 2.4 to 3.75 :). :attn:
You need to have a good cooling in your nb, becouse it´s get very hot.

We are discussing AGP(video card) voltages here, not CPU vcore voltages.

Although, if you wish to run your AGP at 2.1, please post pictures after you hit the power button.

When I had my 2.4C, I ran my AGP voltage at 1.8v for nine months without issue. Like was mentioned earlier, northbridge voltage is linked to AGP voltage in a large quanity of motherboards (to include mine). Even though I left the AGP speed locked at 66mhz, I still needed the extra voltage to get my northbridge stable at 284+ FSB's.

The card did get warm, but I never had any issues with the voltage.

gee I was hoping for a striehg tanswer here and no oone sounds like they know anything except for Vflux, I was really hopign for a good answer

You got several good answers, you just didn't pay attention to any of them. Things you seem to have glossed over:

• Most motherboards link northbridge voltage to AGP voltage
  • Most AGP cards self-regulate their input voltage
  • AGP voltage adjustment rarely (if ever) results in any actual damage to the video card
  • Extra AGP voltage almost always results in higher heat output

Back