• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use MPEG 1 or 2 when recording with TV Tuner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeaponX6X

Should I record using MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 encoding? I'm not sure what the difference is. I've just assumed that MPEG 2 is better. What should I use to record? I also want the file size to be about 650 MB for every 60 min. What bitrate should I be recording at? Thanks a lot.

If you are buying a TV card i would recomand one with a hardware encoder like the PVR 250, or leadtek PVR 2000. they will have onboard Hardware encoders(MPEG2) they have a great Picture quality and does not take up much CPU time .....but if u want 650mb an Hr why not record in MPEG2 then compress into Divx of MPEG4

From my understanding, mpeg 1 has a max bit rate of around 1100/s. I have seen high quality dvd, with mpeg2 of around 8meg/s. It all depends on how high the quality of the source is. If the source is satellite, or high definition TV, I would go mpeg2, and invest in a dvd burner. They are getting pretty cheap. I buy the 4x Ritek media 100 pack for $40.

I have backed up a vhs, then made a dvd, with good results. Better quality than a vcd.

Well I just bought an NEC 8x DVD Burner w/ DL support. I have the Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe tv tuner. The source is cable tv. Nothing special. I tried recording the VMAs with MPEG 2 and it turned out the 9 GB. A little bigger than I had planned. On top of that, every second or so the video would be a bit choppy. What's going on here?

I have the same tuner.

What are you using to capture the video from your cable box. You can setup your software to encode using a lower bitrate, lets say long play, which is around 3meg/s.

How long is the actual movie you are encoding?

I use the nero recode tools, it works great, and I don't get the "choppy" scenes. That is usually from bad software not encoding the mpeg2 right.

If you have diskspace, lossless huffyuv and after recording compress it to xvid/divx/something else.

breez said:
If you have diskspace, lossless huffyuv and after recording compress it to xvid/divx/something else.

I am trying this out. What's the best Divx encoder?

Back