• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x80GB WD SE in RAID-0 vs. 1 raptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnP2k

Which would be faster, a dual 80gig Western Digital SE setup in a RAID-0 array, or a single WD Raptor?

I would think that dual 80gig WD SE in RAID-0 would be faster, but need verification.

well I am not sure but I would think that the seek times of the WD hard drives are only at best 8.5ms, and the raptor is 4.5ms, so I would say the raptor. Also that speed of the WD drives is 7200rpm and the raptor is 10,000, so again I would say raptor.

The sustained transfer rate of the RAID-0 array will be faster than a single Raptor of either 36 or 74GB capacity. However, the overall operation of the Raptor will be better for OS and smaller file operations. Unless you are consistently working with or moving large files, the Raptor will give a more responsive disk system.

Thats part of a big argument, some even say raid0 for desktop use is worthless. I have 2 80gb WD in raid0, and never owned a raptor, I suppose it maybe faster for basic desktop chores.....if you do large transfer of files and video editing, then raid is yours...

Arrggg.... do some reading before posting...

Hehe, but seriously, this topic comes up a lot. I personally would prefere a single 74 gig raptor over a raid 0 array (of ide or sata). It's safer as well. Raid cards do go out time to time, and so do hdds

yeah, I have been watching some posts regarding raid and the striping size, including this long (about 5) page thread.

I have come to the conclusion that disk-intensive use is faster in raid and small stuff is better in a single drive.

I am actually going to be running dual 74gig raps in a raid-0 with a 160gig for backup (all SATA). I also do lots of video editing, so this should have the best of both worlds, I would assume.

The raid'ed 80gig 7200rpm HDDs vs. 1 36gig raptor was going into my brother's comp, and he doesn't do video editing, mainly games and some small stuff; so I won't raid his comp.

Thanks for the info!

Back