• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help compiling new linux kernel (2.6.6)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien dork

i downloaded linux kernel 2.6.6(both source and patch) from kernel.org, i unpacked it and put it on the desktop. I tried to google for instructions for the how-to, but i could'nt really follow what they were saying. can anyone give me some clues of how to do it? i also read the README file and it didn't seem to help much.

sorry im really tired, but maybe this can help a little

you extract the kernel fromt he tarball or w/e

simlink it to /usr/src/linux ( #ln -s /blah/blah/2.6sjdof /usr/src/linux)

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot

and yo uneed to have your boot partition mounted to put the kenrel on it k

not sure what system uyou use or w/e, iit works for mea

edit: and you can config it other ways than make menuconfig, but thats tjust the way ido it

also dyou dont have to use the kernel from kernel.org you can use pre-patched ones like mm-sources or love sources ya know

sometimes they come with more features/patches, but can be less stable and have more bugs

fiji said:
you extract the kernel fromt he tarball or w/e

simlink it to /usr/src/linux ( #ln -s /blah/blah/2.6sjdof /usr/src/linux)

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot

and yo uneed to have your boot partition mounted to put the kenrel on it

Two things:
1. with the 2.6 kernel the command should be
# make && make modules_install

2. the cp... lines work if you're using Lilo, if you're using grub they should be
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-<version>
# cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version>
then you need to update /boot/grub/grub.conf to point to the correct kernel version.

Hope this helps

DWolf:cool:

I typed "make && make modules_install"
it gave me that error message:
"Makefile:434: .config: No such file or directory
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
*** You have not yet configured your kernel!
*** Please run some configurator (e.g. "make oldconfig" or
*** "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig").
make[2]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 1
make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make: *** [include/linux/autoconf.h] Error 2"

then i typed "./config" but i dont know how to answer the questions that they asks me. is there a good site that i can go to to help me with this?
thanks in advance

EDIT: BTW: i am a linux noooob

make menuconfig

Here you'll enter the kernel's configurator. You have to select lots of stuff as either built-in or module. This is tricky b/c you probbaly have no idea what most of the stuff is.

One thing you can do is copy an existing .config from another kernel to get you started before your run menuconfig. That way a lot of stuff is already selected.

I know there are plenty of guides out there, but this step of the process is the one most neglected in those guides.

copy an old .config file from your distro (usually found in /boot) to the kernel directory and run "make oldconfig" instead of make menuconfig

Back