• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok new idea, a vid card for under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
i can afford for my new amd64 system a new vid card, but the only stipulation i want is that it has the ability to view the monitor and tv at the same time. so any ideas?

The Ti4200 in my server is set to run S-Video out to the TV and VGA out to the regular moniter all the time at the same time. All I have to do is reach over switch the TV to video in mode and click any video file on my computer and it opens up on the TV.

It is an MSI Ti4200 128mb card with dual heads and TV output. It is a bit overkill for a file/video server, but it does what I want without ever having an issue. Plus it runs on my TV at 1024/768 res. I am sure you can find one for under 100$

Last edited:
ok sorry let me clarify, right now i have a geforce 3 ti-500, it has s video out and vga, but only one can be on at a time, before i had a geforce 2 mx400 that aloud both to be on the same time, im looking for another vid card better than the geforce 3 that i have for around 100 maybe slightly more... what about an fx of sorts or an ati card...

a 9500pro or a 9700pro off of ebay would be less than $100 i would think, and be a pretty good gaming card to boot.

you can run both at the same time with those, you just can't run two monitors and the tv all at the same time. 2 at once max.

maybe its time to switch to ati... which is a better card to oc though? with stock cooling? is their a real difference in the 9700 pro vs 9500 pro?

Yes, the 9500 Pro has 128-bit memory while the 9700 Pro has 256-bit, plus higher clockspeeds. Not sure how well 9500 Pro's OC, but the 9700 Pro would probably go higher with core/mem in addition to having the 256-bit memory.

but you can find 9500pros with 256bit mem that flash i do believe?

i know you can find 9500np's that will do the flash, you need it to have L shaped ram, on the same pcb as a 9700pro.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
but you can find 9500pros with 256bit mem that flash i do believe?

i know you can find 9500np's that will do the flash, you need it to have L shaped ram, on the same pcb as a 9700pro.

There's no such thing as a 9500 Pro with 256-bit memory. You do, however, have to flash most stock 9500 Pros with a 9700 BIOS in order to overclock.

ok then, im looking on ebay for 9700 pros.. 256bit mem, hopefully ill win one for no more than 100...

unreal said:
ok sorry let me clarify, right now i have a geforce 3 ti-500, it has s video out and vga, but only one can be on at a time, before i had a geforce 2 mx400 that aloud both to be on the same time, im looking for another vid card better than the geforce 3 that i have for around 100 maybe slightly more... what about an fx of sorts or an ati card...

The newer cards (ti4200->x800), I'd imagine, as long as it has a DVI, S-Video, and VGA, you should be able to. The DVI on newer cards wont work, if the s-video is in use, but teh VGA does.

well you might be better off getting a TV Tuner card, they are around 50$ on newegg. A 1.2 Duron isnt going to push a 9700 Pro very much more than it could over the Ti 500.

Depending on how much you game or your need of a new video card(I mean if your still playing Age of Empires 2 or something) you might not need to replace the video card. You could for about half of what you want to spend get the same thing.

well my new rig is a amd64 3200+ with a k8v m/b (the amd deal) witha 2 gig dual cyhannel kit of ocz pc3200 eb,

Heh, any Radeon card will work, back to the 7000. The 8500 will work great, and be a bit faster than your current card, but the 9500+ will have better image quality. Btw 8500>9100>9000pro>9200.

Back