Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Tools?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 07:55 AM Thread Starter   #1
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Tools?

Hello all:

I'm a self-build/OC Noob and was hoping you experts here could help me.
I'd like to put together a gaming/scientific computing box. I searched on the forums but nobody has spoken about the right mechanical tools being used. Do I need special tools to attach the processor to the Mobo or special screwdrivers? I was also looking for Noob proof info on fixing the processor to the Mobo,attaching/DETACHING the fan/heatsink and using thermal compounds.
One final Q:-
Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that? I get precision temprature control (.01 K) using a TEC/Thermistor (Marlow Industries) and an AD590 on my lasers so I was wondering if this could be a viable option. The TEC I use operates at +/- 12V and can draw 5A. It can cool the laser block to -30 C, although I set it at room temprature.

Sorry if I've cross posted.

Thank you all.

Tentative config:
ASUS AV8, 3500+, Gainward 6800 GT (If I have the bread! else 5700), Case/Power/Cooling (?), 1G Corsair value plus DDR400, Sony DVD RW, Audigy 7.1 (If I have the bread! else 5.1).

Build in progress
ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L
Super Nade is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-04, 08:12 AM   #2
JamminPotato

"Do I need special tools to attach the processor to the Mobo or special screwdrivers?"

Answer: No for most things, you just need a standard phillips head screw driver. Most processors just get pushed into a socket and a retention bar lowered to keep them in. This is explaineed well usually in the motherboard maual

Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that?

Some have tried thing SIMILAR but not the same, you couldn't jsut stick a TEC on there, you would have to water cool the cpu and then chill the water cool lines with a TEC, i think i might be awrong on this though so someone else please correct me.
JamminPotato is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-04, 08:21 AM   #3
ajrettke

10 Year Badge

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

tools....1 philips screw driver medium in size....
that's it...maybe a flat head screw driver to put on the HSF but computers are incredibly simple to put together in all honesty.

As for using a TEC, I strongly recommend you DO NOT, that's DO NOT do that. Here are a couple of reasons:
First, your TEC will not cool one of todays modern CPU's (your tech puts out 60 watts only...you want 150+ to cool a modern CPU that's OC'ed...probably more)
Second, you need to insulate the entire socket with dielectric grease and neoprene to prevent condensation.
Third, you need a second PSU to drive the powerful peltier (peltier and TEC are pretty much interchangeable) which is expensive!
Fourth, your gonna need an entire watercooling setup to cool the hot side of the peltier.
Fifth....that's just a lot of work, and for the cost and time put in your probably better off buying a phase change cooling system which works much much better

But on the good side, you don't need to buy any special tools

[I][U]

2x4gb PC16000
256GB Samsung 840
Sennheiser HDR-120's
Dell U2713HM
"Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitve electonic dance music..." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
ajrettke is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-04, 01:18 PM Thread Starter   #4
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Wow! Ajrettke and JamminPotato ..thanks a lot guys!
I didn't think about condensation and I assumed (incorrectly) that it is sufficient to air cool a TEC. I can't wait to begin purchasing!

I get paid tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Thanks again fellas.

Build in progress
ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L
Old 08-31-04, 01:42 PM   #5
_slh_

10 Year Badge

Tools you *need*

Philips screwdriver
medium sized flat screwdriver (for HSF clips)

Tools that come in handy

Pliers
Wire cutters
small spanner/socket (for mobo standoffs)
cable ties
canned air
soldering iron
knife

_slh_ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-31-04, 04:58 PM Thread Starter   #6
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Thanks, _slh_:

Is it safe to solder (if necessary) stuff? Anything I must watch out for? Any special solder required? If I need to solder copper leads can I use Phosphorous pentoxide (better flux) or should I stick with the standard flux (Which means its going to take a bit longer to solder joints and there is risk of heat damage if any)?

We don't use standard canned air for cleaning optics because of moisture content. Is it safe to blow air onto the processor {for cleaning the top surface only??? } before applying thermal paste or should I use ethanol? Is this even necessary?

Thank you all for your patience!!

Build in progress
Old 09-01-04, 07:34 PM   #7
baltoos

Location: Steger, IL or the Dark Side of the Moon; I'm not sure!

10 Year Badge

Nade,
It's definitely a good idea to clean the CPU & heatsink with either ethanol or isopropanol. Most people use common rubbing alcohol (isoprapanol) -70% is sufficient. I'd also recommmend using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound applied according to the instructions
Good Luck!
-Dave

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE DANG INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Abit IP35 Pro w/ Bolt mod
Xeon E3110 @ 4140 Q806A227
4 x 1GB PC2-6400
Nvidia 7900GT 512
2 x 74GB WD Raptor WD740GD
baltoos is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-01-04, 07:41 PM   #8
Guderian

Quote:
Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that? I get precision temprature control (.01 K) using a TEC/Thermistor (Marlow Industries) and an AD590 on my lasers so I was wondering if this could be a viable option. The TEC I use operates at +/- 12V and can draw 5A. It can cool the laser block to -30 C, although I set it at room temprature.
Most would put an intermediary in there, ie. a coldplate.

More info might be found here.

Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2 | +2500 @ 2.2Ghz | 1.70 vCore | Radeon 9600 stock
Lian-Li PC 60 | 512 Kingston 2-2-2-6 | Swiftech 5002 and MCW20
FEDCO 2-302 | Cardboard Shroud | 2 Delta 120's @ 7v | Eheim 1250
Guderian is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 09:52 AM Thread Starter   #9
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Baltoos and Guderian ,
Thanks guys!

PS*I'm putting together a N00b guide to building a box. This would be in the second chapter.

Build in progress
Old 09-02-04, 03:46 PM   #10
Stupid Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nade
Thanks, _slh_:

Is it safe to solder (if necessary) stuff? Anything I must watch out for? Any special solder required? If I need to solder copper leads can I use Phosphorous pentoxide (better flux) or should I stick with the standard flux (Which means its going to take a bit longer to solder joints and there is risk of heat damage if any)?

We don't use standard canned air for cleaning optics because of moisture content. Is it safe to blow air onto the processor {for cleaning the top surface only??? } before applying thermal paste or should I use ethanol? Is this even necessary?

Thank you all for your patience!!
You should only need the soldering iron for connecting wires, switches, LEDs if you are modding your case. It is perfectly fine. I don't even use flux.

If you're doing volt mods you'll have to be more careful.
Stupid Boy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 04:43 PM Thread Starter   #11
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

I'm not looking at Volt mods at the moment, but plan on trying Volt mods on my buddy's old Radeon 9600.

Build in progress
Old 09-02-04, 09:24 PM   #12
Crash893
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

10 Year Badge

im sure there are special tools but they for the most part are un nesscary

i think its kinda of funny that most computers/case's are kinda of on the move to be tool less

tumb screwes , plastic motherboard mounts , thouse things you slide the drives into a bay

in general what i keep around are

1) phillips screw dirver
2) flat head screw driver
3) pair of needle nose plyer ( more for picking stuff out of cracks than anything
4) one tooth brush
5) one can of air

i'm moving to Theory, Everything works there
' I want to be the unwobbling pivot at the center of an ever-revolving universe; I want to be still.'
Crash893 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-02-04, 10:58 PM   #13
shard

what parts are you getting? we would be able to answer any other questions you have also on that! and that is cool that you are building your own comp! it is man's way to give birth!

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-04, 07:25 AM   #14
larrymoencurly

10 Year Badge

There are 4-in-1 screwdrivers that have two sizes of Phillips head tips and two sizes of flat tips, and some also include two sizes of nut drivers as well. I've seen them for anywhere from $3-8 at places like Ace Hardware and auto parts stores.
larrymoencurly is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-04, 09:39 AM Thread Starter   #15
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Thank's guys,

I guess my lab has all the tools you guys mentioned .

Here's the first half of my order from newegg:-
Artic Silver 5, Sony DVD RW, Fortron 530W PS (thanks to everybody on the forums who helped me with this one).
Raidmax Case. I won't be using the stock PS.

Stuff I'm still gathering info abt:-
Socket 939 MoBo {Its a 50:50 between Asus AV8 and MSI Neo Nforce3}
Processor 3500+
HDD Hitachi 80Gb SATA
Video Gainward 6800GT
Heatsink and fan ??? {forum experts recommend Thermalright..but I don't know how to fix the fan onto it}
Corsair 3200 512 x 2

Thanks again guys.

Build in progress
Old 09-04-04, 01:02 PM   #16
Electron Chaser
Senior Delta Fanatic

The Thermalright Heatsinks come with clips to attach the fans. some come with 2 sets of clips on for 80 mm and one for 92 mm . The heatsink also have different mounting holes drilled in the HS for mounting either 25 or 35 mm thick fans.

2 X Raptor 150GB RAID 0 , 2 74GB Raptor RAID 1, 1 36GB Raptor, 1 250GB WD SATA
BIX3 w/ 3 GFB1212VHW Fans (660 CFM Total) -Case Fans 5 EFB1212SHE (710 CFM Total)
MB / RAM Cooler 2 TFB1212GHE (440 CFM Total)

:cool: 1800+ CFM of Pure Delta Coolness :cool:
Someone Help you out? Post a Thank you here. Project Denali Heat
Electron Chaser is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-04-04, 05:25 PM Thread Starter   #17
Super Nade
† SU(3) Moderator †

Roger that Electron.
The recommended Delta fans arn't available on newegg and needless to say I'm wary of the super cheap price vendors on price watch.Where did you get your's from?

Build in progress

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.