• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

128MB or 256MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pronoob

Is there a significant difference because it seems that u can pay about $15 more to get twice the memory

And shouldn't AGP Apeture size do the job if there isn't enough memory (so I can get a 64MB Ti4200 and make it work as good as a 128MB one)

From what I've heard, changing the aperture size in the BIOS doesn't have that much of an effect either way. I'd go with the 256 MB instead of 128 for 15 bucks. Never hurts to have more RAM especially as the size of the texture data increases with these newer games.

Thats true,
Theres a guy here that is getting decent results with 256mb FX5200! on Doom3.
Its the 128bit version though.The 64 bit version doesnt fare so well.

What card are you talking about? If its a 9800 or 9600xt, then yes the ram will help. I have known cards that have 256mb of ram and run at much lower clocks, causing them to perform worse.

Btw a modern card usualy has 20+gbs of memory bandwidth, while using the agp bus it is limited to 2.1gbs.

That and it depends on the ram. Sometimes the ram is slower on a 256M card. I know that on the mobile 9600 pro's the 128M versions are faster in "MOST" applications or games because of this. The games that will use more ram obviously fare better.

My ti4200 64mb, even though it is agp 4x, owned my dad's 9600 256mb untill he sold it and got a 9800xt.

Quailane said:
My ti4200 64mb, even though it is agp 4x, owned my dad's 9600 256mb untill he sold it and got a 9800xt.

Well,what do you think the reason for that is?
The 4200 is clearly faster than a 9600.Also,the speed difference between agp4X and 8X is almost nothing.
Now if you needed more than 64mb's of video memory,the 256mb 9600 would take the drivers seat.Thats Because help from agp memory would slow the 4200 down to a crawl.

Well of course you have to look at all of the specs and make sure you're not getting a slower card. With the 9800 Pro for instance, you can spend a few bucks more and get the exact same card as the 128 MB version, only with 256 MB. I'd pay a few bucks to double the RAM, as the cards get faster they can utilize more RAM.

Back