• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! system won't turn on for more than 5 secs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killa-AMD

2600+MXP
A7n8X-e Deluxe
RBX
etc

It worked with stock HSF but once I installed the waterblock the system powers on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. What gives?? keyboard, mouse, etc have all been installed. Could it be cuz it doesnt sense a fan?

thanks for replies

Check the mounting of your waterblock immediately. I bet it's the thermal protection of your motherboard kicking in because the CPU is getting really toasty. Take the WB off and check to see if the thermal paste has been squidged flat.

The A7N8X series will boot without a fan, it'll give a verbal "CPU fan failed" warning then go to POST.

Could it be cuz it doesnt sense a fan?

Could be a possibility, but I would tend to think you are not getting good contact with the wb.

It powers on, heats up beyond the maximum set in the bios, and shuts itself off.

Apply gentle pressure to the center of the block while turning it on and see if that works. If so you need to tighten the block, and ensure it is level with respect to the core.

If this doesn't work, then attach a fan to the cpu hsf connector, and try that.

Then disable the fan monitoring in the bios so you can remove the fan and still have a working pc.

i hooked the PSU fan connector to it....same results. Tonight I'll reset the bios to defaults and try applying a little pressure and regardless I'll remount the WB. thanks...I'll let you know tonight if have any other questions.

Does it run for a full 5 seconds? If it's just powering on, then almost immediately powering off, it could be a short somewhere.

But if it's running for 5 seconds or so before shutting off, I'd agree with the previous posts, and suspect that you might be overheating.

Sorry if these suggestions sound stupid:

Make sure your pump is on
Make sure no kinks in tubing
Make sure that your WB isn't one huge air pocket
Make sure your rad has some air moving (if its a small one, but even convection should keep temps reasonable)

If its not mounting, then it could be something else.

I power it up and it stays on for 4.5 seconds and then shuts off. I removed the RBX and only the ends had AS5 on it. That makes me believe I didnt tighten it down all the way. I was just worried about damaging the core. I'll tighten till they don't spin anymore.

The psu is not dead, I tested it. I didnt have the 2 120mm fans on...but I'll try that if remounting doesn't work tonight.

I have the exact same problem, only sligly diffrent, mine ussually stays on for about 15 secounds but sometimes it shuts off imediatly, and when it does shutdown it has these sirens going off,

but I think that my wb might be one huge air pocket like you were saiying, except that it seems liek it wouldn't overheat that fast?

any suggestions?

A cpu can fry in seconds. Make sure you have the springs almost fully compressed. I have no problem doing this even with my fragile AXP cores. Whoever, it sounds like you have cpufanfail on. The computer won't boot, will siren, and shutdown if there's no fan plugged into the cpu header. You should be able to fix this in bios. You will have to attach a fan to the cpu header in the meantime.

thanks,

anyways ther is a fan in the cpu fan power, and I already tested the ram so I no thats not it.

My secounds very its ussually like 15 secounds but sometimes it slike 2,

and my monitors never come out of sleep mode, and then i get the siren thing of course and the comp shuts down

also my springs are compressed

one idea is I have that new swifty 6002, I wasn't sure if the blakc springs should go on the side with the indent for the white bar thing (that says socket a) or the other side

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=325878

* whet is that "siren" ? Do you have enough time to jump into BIOS and chec temps around ?
* are you sure your PSU has enough power ?
* check for leaks, everywhere, especially on the mobo
* make sure your NB is properly cooled (i had this problem once on an A7V)
* is the CPU imprint in thermal grease perfectly clear ?
* try removing everything but CPU + RAM + graphic card. Remove everything else, even HDDs. Remove power from them, too. Then see if it still does the same. If it does then the problem is centered around one of these components, or the mobo, or the PSU.

Back