• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I know why AMD called it sempron.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Im taking my first year of latin, and I found that semper means Always, or Forever. Thought it might have something to do with sempron heh. Just thought I'd share.

Didn't know that, that's interesting! I guess they really put ALOT of thought into what they name their cores and such.

But it should be high time they stopped appending -'on' to every major processor name they come up with. Its been done to death its not even funny anymore. Athlon, Duron, Opteron, Sempron,... ew, c'mon.

Newcastle and Clawhammer don't end in *on*.
So AMD have ceased the insanity for now.

So does Thoroughbred.

jonspd said:
They have a cmon out hehe I didn't know the :D.
You got it bro. You're a fast one. :)

Quattro said:
Newcastle and Clawhammer don't end in *on*.
So AMD have ceased the insanity for now.

So does Thoroughbred.
That's right to a certain degree. But technically, they're still Athlons. Even NC's and CH's are Athlons(64). Thoroughbreds, Palominos, Morgans, Bartons, Newcastles, Clawhammers, Sledgehammers, even (Jack)hammers :), they're just code names for the core architecture which is K7 or K8=Athlon. Maybe for the K9 core they might name it Kazoinklon, or Godzilleron, or...

As with its other chips, AMD reached into its high school Latin textbook to coin the name. The Latin word "semper" means "always." AMD says the name will connote a chip that is used every day.

A derivation of semper, "sempra" is used in various curses in Harry Potter books, but AMD appears to have avoided any major name gaffes. This has not always been the case. Celeron turned out to be the birthplace of Lucille Ball, and Athlon is the name of a laminated panel used as a divider for bathroom stalls.

Uberon, Crapon, jullon, farcryon, gazookillon, all these names could possible be used by AMD in the future when they run out of words ending in -on.

Btw.. What will K9 series be like?
There was a huge step between K7 and K8 will we see it again with K9?

Quattro said:
There are only mere speculations about the true nature of this coming beast. Although dual-core should prove to be one of its major features, another is that of a much improved HT protocol/implementation. There's not much out there to show how much of a core improvement/difference the K9 has over K8 in terms of execution units, branch prediction, scheduler, decoder, etc, etc. But they better not name it Tampon, or Domcon, and God forbid, Dildon.

Quattro said:
Uberon, Crapon, jullon, farcryon, gazookillon, all these names could possible be used by AMD in the future when they run out of words ending in -on.

if i ever see the crapon on newegg im THERE! :eek:

theMonster said:
you forgot the upcoming AMD 128bit chip that hardon....okay I did it again, went too far....sorry

Waaay too far- when will we need 128bit, and what for?

And Sempron is just a new name as people gained to know that Duron is crap ;)

K4mui said:
Waaay too far- when will we need 128bit, and what for?

And Sempron is just a new name as people gained to know that Duron is crap ;)
I think he was referring to the "HardOn" part. ;)

Back