• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Company do you think sells the best laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I've been really checking out the different Laptop/Notebook's on the market recently, and I'm wondering who you guys think makes the best laptops. This includes the product as well as support. I've heard good things about IBM and Toshiba but I went with a dell for a desktop equivalent notebook. What is your preference and why?

I got myself a Dell Inspiron 4000 for college and it failed on me after about a year of use. The hard drive would usually refuse to boot into windows, and if I did get into windows it wouldn't be able to run any programs. I could navigate the start menu, but as soon as I tried to open anything it would just sit there and do nothing. One of the reasons I had invested in Dell was because of their apparently great customer service, but since I had an 'on-site' warranty, they wanted me to diagnose the problem before they sent any technicians/parts my way. Since I couldn't run any proggies in windows, it was impossible to diagnose and on at least 3 occasions I sat talking to the help desk for over an hour and made no progress.

Sorry to hear you bought a Dell...I think I would get an IBM if I were going to get another laptop. I knew someone who had one and it still ran pretty well 3 years after he got it...

I´ve had already 5 IBM laptops in the last 10 years. Except for the first one (760CD), which had a crappy keyboard, all the rest have been really nice and rough machines (770x, 600e, T23 and now T40). Those were personal and work machines, and some received high use/abuse, and I didn't have any major issue... just some battery replacements. So you can guess my vote :)-)).

Yeah, I definately like the IBMs. But since I'm totally broke, I'm building my own!

As far as quality goes, I think it has to be IBM hands down. Problem is that they are insanely pricey.

Right now I have an HP/Compaq laptop and I had to send it in once and get a hdd replaced once. Other than that though my dad's company has an old presario thats 10 years old that still chugs along when you need a 133mhz laptop for something.

Imho, it depends from model to model. Every company has problem laptops and every company has laptops that will work like a charm for more than its expected usage life.
Remember with laptops, they are made by ODMs and then shipped out to their respective OEM companies. Here is a good explanation:
http://www.powernotebooks.com/Name_Brand.php3

This is why I like Sager, same laptop, a lot less money.

funnyperson1 said:
Remember with laptops, they are made by ODMs and then shipped out to their respective OEM companies.

Yup, I was hoping someone would throw that in. The main reason I went with Dell on the one I picked was because it's a desktop replacement and dell had all the things I was looking for at the best price. It also had the best warrenty coverage. I was also sure to choose the IBM HItachi hdd because not only is it a 7.2k hdd, but it is also pretty dependable from what I've read. The next notebook I get will probably be a Centrino Tech, and will most likely be an IBM.

Another IBM fan.

In fact, before I joined with my company, they were strictly buying Dell laptops. I got the IT manager to try out an IBM and he was sold. Now all new laptop puchase is an IBM.

Back