• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connect Internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I've been trying to connect to the internet using my laptop (winXP) and my dialup server, but for some odd reason when I go to: Netowrk Connections --> Create a new connection --> Internet Connection, I have 3 options:

Connect using a dialup modem
Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password
Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Two of the first options are not selectable (in grey), and only the third is selectable. Why?

I checked out my Phone and modem properties, and there is a modem installed in COM3. I then went to device manager, clicked Ports(COM and LPT), but the only sublisting is: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Probably you don't have the dialup networking components installed. The second option probably requires the PPP protocol in the dialup stuff for PPPOE. (Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet)

Please, someone? Why am I unable to select "Connect using a dialup modem"?? This has never happened to me before

edit: There is nothing wrong with the modem or the line. I can dial a number using the hyperterminal just fine.

edit2: No, I think the problem was that I had XP Home installed, I installed SP1, then installed XP Pro over this

Last edited:
Back