• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out my system to be....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jbroad572

Well, finally sold my Apple Powerbook, so it's time for the pc. Here's what I got

Thermaltake Tsunami $129
DFI UT NF3- $134.99
CPU- AMD 64 3400+ (not sure which one to go with yet)
Memory- (Please help choose)
74gb Raptor Hard Drive - $178
200gb Seagate 7200.7 Hard Drive- $124
NEC 3500 16x DVD +/_ - $88.99
Lite On DVD drive $28.50
GeForce 6800- $299
Water Cool setup- $150, maybe?
Fortron 530 watt PSU- $75.50
Dell 2001FP (waiting for next hot deal)
Total: $1057 (minus cpu, memory, and cooling)

As you can see I'm still not sure about the memory and water cooling kits. I'm not sure what memory I need to go with that will yield the best results with my cpu/mobo choice.

I think in order to save money, I may hold off on the seagate drive and dvd drive. Please chime away with suggestions to improve my setup. Am I missing anything else or am I good to go? This will be my first home built pc, so I'm kind of excited and don't bother saying I shouldn't water cool since this is my first setup, because I'm not going to listen... :bday:

I'm highly opinionated so beware.

Raptor is a total waste, trust me I've had two or just watch the review below. For an 80GB drive your paying 250% more money and only gaining 10% more performace tops.
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2073
Do yourself a favor and get any 80GB drive for $65. Money saved better spent elsewere.

AMD 64 3400+, don't understand this choice either since you're overclocking anyway, It has'nt been proven 3400's overclock any better than 3000's, get a 3000+ money saved is $140 better spent elsewhere.

GeForce 6800- $299, Why buy something cripped? something you CAN NOT overclock to high performance? Use savings from above to find either:
6800GT OC to Ultra
or 800vivo softmod to XT

Memory- (Please help choose)
Only one brand I'd consider for A64, Crucial Ballistix, it overclockes even better than OCZEB (read reviews) and is cheaper and from a far more reputable company that will probably always be around to redeem your lifetime warranty if needed.

$130 a 512 stick shipped with coupon code.

The rest of your stuff look really good:) For water cooling, in that case, it's probably going to require a kit since you have little room to work. Good luck.

What speed memory should I go for (pc3200, pc4000)? I would like to spend less than 250 for 1 gig. I would go for the xp120, but there is no point since I will be watercooling.

I was going to get in on the best buy 6800 + doom deal for 299, because I have a 10percent discount and a $50 credit at best buy.

Jbroad572 said:
What speed memory should I go for (pc3200, pc4000)? I would like to spend less than 250 for 1 gig. I would go for the xp120, but there is no point since I will be watercooling.

From crucial it's the same mem modules, micron G.. of course the 4000 is better since it's guarnteed to hit 250FSB (I've seen as low as 2.5-3-2) and it still can run PC3200 2-2-2 but it costs a little bit more. Either take a slight risk with PC3200 or get 4000 for a bit more $ your choice..??

As far as BB,

Here ya go bro http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1082519264724&type=product&ref=03&loc=01

Then read this
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1384849

typing on a treo 600 is a pita....

anyways.... For the watercooling setup I planned on buying a nice cpu block and then the rest of the stuff under 100 going by a post in the WC forums.

As far as the cpu, I just wanted the best cpu for 300 dollars and with the new board it I hear we can expect better OCing??? could be wrong though.

Could you post the name of what you linked to on the best buy site? Im going tomorrow to buy whatever video card. Im sorry but my treo won't let me view tht page.

BeerHunter said:
...Raptor is a total waste...10% more performace tops...

Just a difference of opinion...I would highly recommend the Raptor. It's one of the most easily discernable performance increases you'll experience. I've seen up to 30% performance improvement when manipulating very large images in PS (heavy page file use). Loading your OS and programs will also be noticably faster. The drives are quiet and virtually bulletproof. Of course, being a SCSI fan, I also find them a very good value. Don't sell yourself short to save $140.00

hafa said:
Just a difference of opinion...I would highly recommend the Raptor. It's one of the most easily discernable performance increases you'll experience. I've seen up to 30% performance improvement when manipulating very large images in PS (heavy page file use). Loading your OS and programs will also be noticably faster. The drives are quiet and virtually bulletproof. Of course, being a SCSI fan, I also find them a very good value. Don't sell yourself short to save $140.00

I'm agree with you (not from real world performance, mine should be here soon) but from this, an alternate review than anandtech.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200401/20040126WD740GD_1.html

Also, ballistix and ocz eb are pretty much identical ram but the ocz performs better, esp. the 3500 eb (even the 3200 eb). for you system 3500 ram would be excellent, and can oc very well. The ram oc's very well, plus chaning to a 5:4 ratio would def. allow a much higher fsb overclock. problem is finding a seller. I just ordered mine for 290 off of newegg, but the next day they stopped selling them! try froogle.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2019

Hafa I had a long winded response typed out...hit send..got lost...::SIGH:: but for what it's worth, I liked slight gains in loads/boots but not worth premium or noise.

Anyway OP, read the review anandtech did and do you own cost/benefit analysis. Remember he has no emotional attachment as we do.

I have no emotional attachment to either, this is my very FIRST rig thta i'm building and i choice these parts 3 days ago. I chose them because of the research that I did. If it's cost he's worried about, I guessthe ballistix does offer a better price and value. He should definately choose ocz or ballistix though, maybe buffalo tech, i've heard it's good ram and it uses micron chips.

as for the hd, personal preference. I got it because i decided i was putting money into premium parts for my computer, i might as well choose a well performing hd. yes, it is probably going to be loud. but in college, i will have headphones on 90% of the time or be sleeping in the room adjacent to the living area.

Went to purchase the video card today at Best buy, then took it back, because I found a better deal at outpost that would save me $30, but the thinking I could have Doom 3 and Farcry for free and possibly sell them I think I'm going to go back and pick that up. Also decided to go with the 3200+ to save money and they both offer similar overclocks, so I figure that's a smart move. I'm having a hard time finding the pc3500 eb ram, still looking though.

Back