• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Basic Sub Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

hey guys

Well i have been wanting to build a simple sub for my front room, the speakers in there are nice and all, but are realy lacking in the Bass department.

well i have been looking at some cheap drivers and thought this one looked good
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-274

tell me what you think

well I inputed the info into WinISD and it came out being a realy good performer in a ported box. cut off at around 25hz. so i think it would be pretty good for my needs. just need to get a 100w amp.

so tell what you think and give me the heads up

BTW the budget is 50 bucks maybe 70

That driver isnt bad for the price but for a subwoofer I would look for something with more Xmax and lower FS. These are pretty decent for a budget sub.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-490

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-485

It might be a little bit over $70 but with the 70 watt PE plate amp and one of those drivers you will have a very good budget sub.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-784

If you can handle the larger box (3 cu ft) then they should really rock.

Ryan

lol, your the dude i was hoping would respond! thanks man, your my DIY goto guy! lol

the box that i already had planned was 4.7cu ft so no problem there, i need a new table in my front room! lol

i will look at those drivers and run the numbers through WinISD and post back a little later!

I was just messing around with winISD and that 12" looks sweet. Its pretty dang efficient too 94 dB 2.83v/1m! Which means you will be able to play it well over 100 dB with a relativly small amp. Is the sub gonna be for music or movies or both? If movies then I would try to tune it to 20 Hz or so. That way you can get some nice low impactful bass with some of these movie soundtracks. If its just music I would consider going sealed depending on what music you listen too.

Ryan

WOW, this is kinda funny, i ran the numbers on those 2 subs, and the 10" performs better! wow! well hypothetical, but still, there is a marginal difference! wow!

I was not sure about the amp until i saw the 10" performing better, and the 10" only uses 80w, so no biggie! thanks!

Well it does go lower but the 12" displaces a lot more air. The more displacement you have the more bass you have. So although the 10" has a better response curve it will not play as loud as the 12". And the 12" has a higher sensitivity 92.7 vs 94.0. If you can afford it I would still recommend the 12" over the 10" and since you have that huge enclosure to work with that opens it up even more for the 12" :D. But I dont think you'll be disapointed with either.

EDIT:
On a side note about amplifer power needed. For every 3 dB increase you need to double the amp power. So you start at the drivers given sensitivity and go up. That will tell you roughly how much power you need to get to what dB level. Now this isnt an exact science cause theres things like room gain and what frequincy is being played that effect your output greatly but it gives you a rough ballpark :D.

Ryan

Last edited:
hmm
so the 12" is better? ok, I shall listen to you

And yes this will be for bolth Musick and Movies. I mainly listen to Trance/Techno. so that tells you.

i just want some good punch thats all.

BTW if you have AIM Ryan T, jump on and AIM me. i would talk some stuff out with you

Ryan T said:
I was just messing around with winISD and that 12" looks sweet. Its pretty dang efficient too 94 dB 2.83v/1m! Which means you will be able to play it well over 100 dB with a relativly small amp.

I wouldnt put much merit in the posted efficiency of the driver in regards to low frequencies. Its often the woofers with a lower efficiency that have better bass frequency output.

shard said:
hmm
so the 12" is better? ok, I shall listen to you

And yes this will be for bolth Musick and Movies. I mainly listen to Trance/Techno. so that tells you.

i just want some good punch thats all.

BTW if you have AIM Ryan T, jump on and AIM me. i would talk some stuff out with you

The bigger the woofer the better, all other factors equal. In regards to a subwoofer of course.

hmm, ok, well Ryan T worked out the Box size and the Tuning Freq Last night on the 12" and man, it is slightly off from the 10, but its gonna be hitting alot deeper! lol

Box size = 3.7cu ft
Tuning Freq= 22hz

this sucka is gonna be anice improvement! lol

if you guys have any other somments or suggestions they would be appreciated!

I wouldnt put much merit in the posted efficiency of the driver in regards to low frequencies. Its often the woofers with a lower efficiency that have better bass frequency output.

Very true but in this case comparing the 10" to the 12" they are both very similar except the 10" has less Xmax and is less efficient. I dont know how accurate the efficiency rating is in regard to bass output. I guess it dpends on what freq the driver was tested at.

Anyway the 12" will displace a lot more air so even though it doesnt have as low of a curve as the 10" it'll make a better sub I think :D.

Ryan

ok got another idea, i have the sub box from my old Z-340's and i was wondering what sub i can put in there, i am going to gut it and hopefully put some kind of 7" in it, for my comp, a little more bang, its a Sealed box. and i will be buying a 25w plate amp for it

well looks like the sub enclosure for the z340 holds a 8" passive radiator and a 4" "subwoofer" driver. The site I looked at said it was a bandpass sub. If thats true the only bandpass designs i know of use the acutal subwoofer driver in a middle devider inside the box. Have you taken the logitech sub apart and seen if theres is even room for another driver? I'm assuming its toasted anyways so i would take out the passive radiator on the front and see how big of a hole you have to work with and how much room inside you have. I would think an 8" driver would work ok in that box. It may be a bit small but it will sure have some boom :D.

Ryan

ok, got an insane idea, drop a 10" sub into the box! its just big enough! lol it has .46cu ft
and a QTC of 1.17! lol i am going to power it with a PE 25w amp, its gonna be fun!

BTW the driver is a Dayton 10" DVC shielded sub

Ahh, got me another good idea, The sonotube idea! lol
I will be getting the Dayton 15" Quatro, and coupling it with the PE 250w Amp w/remote

I ran the numbers through WinISD, and all i can say is, WOW!!
heres a screenshot
Subcomparison.jpg

see what i mean! amazing! this will be in a 20"wide 52"tall sonotube! absolutly amazing!

now what i need to worry about is the Satalites, suddenly everything seems crappy when you couple it to this sub! lol

My plan
AV1 kit speakers, the same ones that Ryan T has
H/K AVR 130 or 230 not sure
and eventualy some kind of good amp

what do you guys think? questions or comments are welcome

oh and BTW, the room that sub is going to be in, is 9x7x10, can we say ROOM GAIN??

Back