• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem installing the kernel in Gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
When I compile the kernel I get this message:

Code:
make: *** no rule to make 'bzimage'. stop.

When I install the kernel I get this error:

Code:
cp: cannot stat 'arch/i386/boot/bzimage': no such file or directory

This is compiled from gentoo-sources kernel. I had no problem compiling this kernel before.

If you're using a 2.6 kernel, you don't need that step; make && make modules_install will do it for you. However, if you're in 2.4 the correct make rule and filename is bzImage .
By the way, if you feel stupid, don't. I've banged my head against similar problem for hours (usually less than a day, though) before figuring them out or asking someone.

Its kernel 2.4.26. If you are referring to the capital I thats the error that is what Gentoo outputs. I have tried with both upper and lower case Is just to be sure. It hasnt worked.

I have since tried 'emerge genkernel' & 'genkernel all' and I get an error saying that it cannot write to the bzimage file.

I am now trying vanilla-sources.

EDIT: I think I found my error. The gentoo documentation i have lists the kernel as linux2.4.26-gentoo-r6 Well I compiled -r9.... Lets see if I am right, expect an answer in a while.

EDIT#2: ok I cant sleep but I am past all that mess posted above.

Last edited:
Back