• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What folds Faster? AMD64 or Pentium 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

I have a AMD 64 @ 2.4GHz, I have a change to sell it and get a Pentium 4 running at 3.4GHZ with HT. Which CPU will fold faster? Does HT really fold twice as fast? Also when it comes to folding is the Prescott a better folder than nothwood? I don't care about anything else like gaming or other apps, just folding. thanks.

GigaHertzAddict said:
I have a AMD 64 @ 2.4GHz, I have a change to sell it and get a Pentium 4 running at 3.4GHZ with HT. Which CPU will fold faster? Does HT really fold twice as fast? Also when it comes to folding is the Prescott a better folder than nothwood? I don't care about anything else like gaming or other apps, just folding. thanks.
The P4 should do more PPW with HT and 2 instances. No HT does NOT fold twice as fast, you gain about 15% or so over running one instance. Minimal to no difference between the Prescott and Northy in folding but the Pressy will run HOT, the Northy will not.

If you can cool the prescott properly, go for it! Because the prescott fold Dgromacs like crazy!

On normal gromacs, my Northwood is a little better than my prescott, but not that much. But on DGromac (the 107 points) Northwood ~12H (with another instance runnig) and the prescott: *~8H30 (with another instance running too). The 2 processor are clocked to 3.7 ghz.

So we can conclude that the P4 is faster than AMD 64, and the prescott is faster than the northwood for bigger protiens? I must know before I sell my stuff

GigaHertzAddict said:
So we can conclude that the P4 is faster than AMD 64, and the prescott is faster than the northwood for bigger protiens? I must know before I sell my stuff

It's all reletive. My A64@2330 gets around 1260ppw-1440ppw with 2 instances, my P4E's (HT)2.8@3025 get around 1300-1500ppw, my P4C's(HT) 2.8@3220 gets around 1300-1500ppw... sometimes it's higher sometimes it's lower..depends on the proteins, etc, etc

paps

Papsomax said:
It's all reletive. My A64@2330 gets around 1260ppw-1440ppw with 2 instances, my P4E's (HT)2.8@3025 get around 1300-1500ppw, my P4C's(HT) 2.8@3220 gets around 1300-1500ppw... sometimes it's higher sometimes it's lower..depends on the proteins, etc, etc

paps

Did I read that correctly, did you say you are running 2 instances on you AMD64?

GigaHertzAddict said:
Did I read that correctly, did you say you are running 2 instances on you AMD64?

You can run two instaces of fah on any pc to include non-HT AMD's, and Intel...actually get around the same output (12-24% more ppw) as a HT enabled cpu....the OS whether it is Linux, XP, PS X, along with other parameters..dictates how much of the cpu will be utilized for fah, eg on my AXPs, A64, etc when just folding, fah client one utilizes 48-49% of the cpu while fah client 2 utilizes arounf the same......that's why most of of run 2 clients on ALL cpus whos GHz is > 1.6

paps

Papsomax said:
eg on my AXPs, A64, etc when just folding, fah client one utilizes 48-49% of the cpu while fah client 2 utilizes arounf the same......that's why most of of run 2 clients on ALL cpus whos GHz is > 1.6

paps

hmm I run instance on my AXp chip and it says in taskmanager it is useing 99% never seen 100%, but I also never seen 48-49% whats the deal that your only getting 50% usage? A flag setting maybe?

If you run more than one instance on any computer except maybe NUMA enabled, you'll need to set the -local flag or the instances might get mixed up in memory and you won't always get credit for your WUs.

Just curious, how does the celeron D with 256K cache? I was in a car accident over the weekend, and now I might sell my rig for money...

Back