• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this video card play rmvb/avi files smoothly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smallghost

Registered
Hi all,

I have the following rig and plan to upgrade the video card (with TV-out) so it can play rmvb files on a TV.

I did a few search on newegg and found this:

Sapphire 9200 128mb 128-bit
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-283&depa=1

Is this card good enough to play rmvb/avi files smoothly?
Or is this card too much for just playing rmvb/avi files?
I try to use this rig for playing multimedia files ONLY.

Rig spec:
P3 800mhz
Asus GeForce2 Video Card
512 PC100 SDRAM
40GB HDD
Asus P3V4X mobo

Thanks.
SG

I doubt any semi modern video card will have trouble with avi files. you could pr0obably even use onboard or a pci card

Seems like the 9200 is overkilled to just play rmvb files......

You guys have any cheap, reliable video card in mind that will also get this job done?

Thanks.
SG

smallghost said:
Seems like the 9200 is overkilled to just play rmvb files......

You guys have any cheap, reliable video card in mind that will also get this job done?

Thanks.
SG

just get the cheapest ATI video card you can with tv/out (known to have better quality than nvidia's). I suggest you consider a used card from a friend or so since playing any kind of video files relys mostly on the cpu, as long as you have a 1GHz+ cpu you can play any file including hi-res MP4.

I think all of the video cards nowadays will do smooth playback without a problem. Back in 1995, you would have a problem finding a card to do just that.

A R7000 would even do you good, i had one with my old P4 1.5Ghz and it ran flawlessly on movie play back. God, even my old Voodoo3 on my old P3 450Mhz ran perfect with video play back and DVD's.

Back