• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My fieldtrip to Pepboys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrungh

Today I went to both Autozone and Pepboys hunting for my Fedco 2-199. At autozone, the thing was bent out of shape and brazen, so obviously it was a no go. However, the single 2-199 they had at Pepboys was mint, copper, and seemed perfect. However, when I began measurements, I found much to my surprise that the hose apertures were of differing diameters. One was 10/16" (not too bad... perhaps a tight fit with a heated end of hose and some elbow grease), but the other was a full 3/4" wide. I dont see any way of getting 1/2" ID tubing over a 3/4" aperture, but if it can just brute forced, tell me otherwise. Also I may have viewed a version of the 2-199 not exactly suitable for our purposes. If these diameters are just the facts of life on the 2-199, and I just need to heat up that ole hose and push, let me know, but it seems like it might not work without some custom barbing on that larger inlet.

i have a fedco 2-342 with pipes that have the same dimentions as you 5/8 and 3/4. I got my 1/2 id tube over the 3/4 pipe however i dont know if it wa still 3/4 after cutting it down. heres how i did it:

i heard this good advice in the forums the trick is streching it slow get some hot water and a bunch of sockets from a tool set. warm the tubing, force the biggest socket u can to fit in tube without to much force put it in the tube. soke the tubing with the socket in hot water for few secs then take out and move to bigger size socket to u think its big enough for 3/4. the hot metal really seems to mold the tubing

also wetting the hc pipe helps it slide on

good luck

After you follow the directions in the prior post, you just put the ends of your tubing in very hot water for about a minute and they will slip on without any problems. I just put a cup of water in the microwave for 3-4 min.

fhanderson said:
After you follow the directions in the prior post, you just put the ends of your tubing in very hot water for about a minute and they will slip on without any problems. I just put a cup of water in the microwave for 3-4 min.

excelent, osh's 1/2 od T fittings arn't the same as every one elses.

Back