• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finding Max FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apunkrockmonk

This is a sort of RAM/Motherboard question, but I think the problem is with the motherboard so this is where i'm putting it.

Okay, I read in another thread that a good way to find the max FBS of your ram is to get memtest 86, and set your multiplier as low as possible and then make small increases in your FSB and then test for stability.

Well, first off, I'd like to start by telling you what is in my rig.

Abit NF7-s V2, no mods, stock bios, only thing different is I have that zalman passive cooler on the NB

AMD 2500+ Mobile

1gb of Crucial PC3200 8T RAM

The voltages I used for testing were:

Vcore: 1.575
Ram: 2.6
Chipset: 1.6

At those settings my ram would post with 220FSB but mem test would freeze before it could even start.

I tried making the ram voltage 2.7, that made no difference, I went back to 2.6 and made the chipset 1.7. Success, it booted and started memtest, I let it run for 5 minutes, I know thats not a very good test of stability, but it was good enough for me to consider going higher.

I tried booting at 225FSB, it wouldn't post reguardless of the RAM voltage and with the chipset at 1.7.

Is this as far as I can expect to go without any volt mods to the board?

What else should I try doing.

Thanks.

apunkrockmonk said:
This is a sort of RAM/Motherboard question, but I think the problem is with the motherboard so this is where i'm putting it.

Okay, I read in another thread that a good way to find the max FBS of your ram is to get memtest 86, and set your multiplier as low as possible and then make small increases in your FSB and then test for stability.

Well, first off, I'd like to start by telling you what is in my rig.

Abit NF7-s V2, no mods, stock bios, only thing different is I have that zalman passive cooler on the NB

AMD 2500+ Mobile

1gb of Crucial PC3200 8T RAM

The voltages I used for testing were:

Vcore: 1.575
Ram: 2.6
Chipset: 1.6

At those settings my ram would post with 220FSB but mem test would freeze before it could even start.

I tried making the ram voltage 2.7, that made no difference, I went back to 2.6 and made the chipset 1.7. Success, it booted and started memtest, I let it run for 5 minutes, I know thats not a very good test of stability, but it was good enough for me to consider going higher.

I tried booting at 225FSB, it wouldn't post reguardless of the RAM voltage and with the chipset at 1.7.

Is this as far as I can expect to go without any volt mods to the board?

What else should I try doing.

Thanks.

you could try changin your Ram timings, what are they set to, what bios are you using, and have you considers the L12 mod?

apunkrockmonk said:
i'm using stock timings and the stock abit bios. Would the L12 mod make it so the MB would post?

well try a bios flash first(just look in my sig for that:D, BTW thanks sent), and try 3-3-3-11 ram timings.....

I tried a new bios and it was very helpful. I posted fine all the way until 245. It may post fine past 245 but I stopped testing at 245. Thanks for the help.

apunkrockmonk said:
I tried a new bios and it was very helpful. I posted fine all the way until 245. It may post fine past 245 but I stopped testing at 245. Thanks for the help.

which bios did you wind up picking?

apunkrockmonk said:

no problem bro:), bios makes all the difference :santa2:

Back