• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Video Card Around $150, Or Wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illuminus

Registered
What would be my best bet with video cards around (preferrably, under) 150 dollars. On pricewatch, I saw some Radeon 9700PROs for around 150. But I was also looking at 9600XTs for 135 on Newegg.

My major question is: If I were to get a video card now for this price, what should it be? OR Would it be better to wait to upgrade? If so, how long do you think until the next major price drop (for 9800s)?

Illuminus said:
What would be my best bet with video cards around (preferrably, under) 150 dollars. On pricewatch, I saw some Radeon 9700PROs for around 150. But I was also looking at 9600XTs for 135 on Newegg.

My major question is: If I were to get a video card now for this price, what should it be? OR Would it be better to wait to upgrade? If so, how long do you think until the next major price drop (for 9800s)?

i personally would hold on to the ti for awhile, and save a little more moola, since the next refresh of card's is only about a month away, and you should be able to get a 6600gt, which outperform's the 6800nu and the 9800pro, and from what i've read the msrp on them will be $200. [we'll see :rolleyes: ]

/jmho

ok yeah, thats exactly what I was wondering. If thats the case, then I'll definitely wait, because I am not in a hurry right now. But I was willing to shell out IF prices werent going down dramatically.

I'm in the same boat. If I were to buy a video card today it'd be a refurbished 9800 Pro from newegg. But as said bedfore, with all the new video cards coming out, prices are *hopefully* going to drop. It honestly depends on how bad you want a new video card. I've heard the 6600 is going to be around $200, but I'd be shocked if it was that low. That would push all the nvidia cards real low.

Yeah, apparently the 6600 will be 200 and the 6600GT will be 250. If that is the case, that is insane. I imagine the 6800's will be cheaper too. I would say (to myself and others) get a cheap 9800XT or w/e BUT for 200 you can be on the leading edge card that has shader model 3.0, which is sweet.

Last edited:
I would get a 9700 pro used now... You should be able to get one in the range of $100-135 and that is a great deal IMO.

Yea, the 9700pro is a steal right now. I got one about 6 months ago for $99 that was a system pull. If you look enough you can find great deals on them, and overclocked they perform very well.

I was talking on IM to a person from the forums who was shopping for a vid card and I told him to get a 9700, and I think he said he picked one up a few hours later for like $85.

Yea, you cant beat that. $85 is a steal. If it overclocks well, you could get 9800pro or better performance, if not your still equal to a 9800 non pro (with a little OC) and better than all 9500-9600's easily. I had nothing but good praise for my 9700pro. Too bad I ripped a ram chip off :(

man, $85 for a 9700 is a steal indeed. you probably can get a 9800 pro for $150 a few months later. that's what I am hoping for.

You can get new 9800 pros for $185.00 over the internet, as a matter of fact the Hercules version on NewEgg.

the 9800pro is very minimally better than the 9700pro... And you can save $50 by getting a 9700pro... Thats why I recommended it.

Back