• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XPrpo = Lose 20GB ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oo_7

Hi there,

Today my maxtor 40GB HD died on me (was expecting it to because its been noisy for the last 2/3 weeks). Anyway, i went and bought a new 160Gb WD today, and when i was installed XP pro it said i had a 133Gb HD. I partitioned the HD at 60Gb and 70Gb +- a GB. I had some problems with my XP pro cd and could not install it. But because i have some importent documents i needed, i then install XP Home (cd that came with my laptop) and it saw the Patitions i make as 60Gb and 90Gb. Thats an extra 20Gb :eek:

The XP pro is in English, and the XP home edition is in Norwegian. (not sure if that make a difference)

How come i am Losing 20Gb by using XP pro ??

Thx in advance.

oo_7

did you have sp1 installed on xp pro? because xp pro without service pack 1 can't detect hard-drive larger than 128gb or something.

Dc5e said:
did you have sp1 installed on xp pro? because xp pro without service pack 1 can't detect hard-drive larger than 128gb or something.

MMmmm.... I did not think about that. My XP pro does Not have SP1 but my Home edition has.

I managed to Install Xp pro onto my PC (it was not the cd that was damaged, It was one of my RAM bricks). After replacing the RAM, XP pro installed with np. But the problem now, is How do i get my 20GB back? I have install SP1 but my partitions are still 60Gb and 70Gb. Do i have to get MS to send me a new XP pro cd with SP1 on or is there another way?

Thx

you can slip stream it onto the cd, google slip stream sp1. if i have time i'll find it later.

Back