• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed.. HD still read wrong

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Title says it all. I just reinstalled my winders XPwith sp2 slipstreamed and my 160gig HD is still read at something like 120. I thought this was supposed to resolve this issue. any input appreciated, thanks!

Did you install with NTFS? What cluster size? The first 12% of your hard drive is assigned to MFT(Master File Table) area. Which I believe resides on raw unpartitioned space. Some one correct me if i'm wrong about that one detail. So 12% of 160gigs is 19.2gigs. Plus the cluster size that each file occupies and if it's not as big as the cluster size than that space is wasted. Not to mention your windows swap file. My 120gig shows only as 107gigs. I have a partition for on it sized to 25megs just to boot from to flash or anything I need to do in dos. So I'v lost almost 20gigs just to run windows with NTFS.

Is the HDD in question connected to the onboard SATA controller, or one of the standard IDE 100/133 controllers? If it's connected to an IDE controller, check in your BIOS under "IDE Primary Master" (assuming your HDD is the master on the primary controller, and which is normally found under "Standard CMOS Features" in a Phoenix BIOS). What is the "Access Mode" set to...Auto? If so, change the "Access mode" to LBA (Logical Block Addressing) mode:, F10 and Save.

Also, can you take a screenshot of the "Computer Management" window (Start | Run | Type compmgmt.msc, and click OK)-->"Storage"-->"Disk "Management, so we can see a graphical representation of how your HDD(s) are set up. In addition, what make and model is the 160GB HDD?

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Is the HDD in question connected to the onboard SATA controller, or one of the standard IDE 100/133 controllers? If it's connected to an IDE controller, check in your BIOS under "IDE Primary Master" (assuming your HDD is the master on the primary controller, and which is normally found under "Standard CMOS Features" in a Phoenix BIOS). What is the "Access Mode" set to...Auto? If so, change the "Access mode" to LBA (Logical Block Addressing) mode:, F10 and Save.

Also, can you take a screenshot of the "Computer Management" window (Start | Run | Type compmgmt.msc, and click OK)-->"Storage"-->"Disk "Management, so we can see a graphical representation of how your HDD(s) are set up. In addition, what make and model is the 160GB HDD?

It is connected to onboard IDE controller, I think it is ata100. Access mode is set to Auto, I will reboot in a second and change it.

Here is a pic. It is a western digital, 7200rpm, 160gig, ata100.. about all I can tell you about it.

Attachments

• hd.JPG
    hd.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 57
How was the drive set up before you installed XP SP2...w/ only one partition? The total size of all three volumes (excluding the extended partition) is 149.05GB, which is about right considering without an extended partition containing a logical volume...total disk size in Windows would show as ~153GB.

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
How was the drive set up before you installed XP SP2...w/ only one partition? The total size of all three volumes (excluding the extended partition) is 149.05GB, which is about right considering without an extended partition containing a logical volume...total disk size in Windows would show as ~153GB.

I had the partitions broken up before the installation... I mean I got the borken up with the windows CD right before installation (am i clear enough?).

I know I see three volumes, but I only have access to two...1)19.5gig 2)108 giving me about 139... I am still missing a bit.

Am i clear enough?
Not really...I'm confused as to what's keeping you from just using Disk Management to create another partition in the unallocated space, or just deleting the logical D partition and extended partition...then creating a new extended partition the total size of D and the unallocated space combined. You could also use PM8 to resize the D partition so it combines the unallocated space, and resizes the extended partition for you.

redduc900 said:
Not really...I'm confused as to what's keeping you from just using Disk Management to create another partition in the unallocated space, or just deleting the logical D partition and extended partition...then creating a new extended partition the total size of D and the unallocated space combined. You could also use PM8 to resize the D partition so it combines the unallocated space, and resizes the extended partition for you.

hehehe, well I didn't know that I was able to just "unlock" that extra space :) I really don't know how to do so, Disk Management and PM8 don't sound familiar at all... but yeah, I would like to just add that space to the D:\ drive. thanks for the help btw :clap:

You can right click the unallocated space and select "Create", which will create a NTFS or FAT32 volume (depending on your preference) to the size you specify. Unfortunately you're somewhat restricted in it's use, in that you can't resize a volume using DM...this is why I suggested Partition Magic 8.0, which you can download from Symantec here...

http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/ ...it used to be possible to d/l an evaluation/trial version of the software when it was owned by Powerquest, but apparently Symantec doesn't offer that service anymore...at least I don't see a trial version available for d/l from their site.

One other thing you can do is delete the D volume (as long as it doesn't contain any data you can't live without), by right clicking the volume and selecting "Delete Volume". You can then do the same with the extended partition, then create a volume in the remaining space...which would be the total of D, the extended volume, and the unallocated space (as you have it set up now).

There's also online support which contains a lot of good information regarding the Disk Management tool and it's usage, which can be found by selecting "Help and Support" from the Start menu...and typing Disk Management in the "Search" field.

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
You can right click the unallocated space and select "Create", which will create a NTFS or FAT32 volume (depending on your preference) to the size you specify. Unfortunately you're somewhat restricted in it's use, in that you can't resize a volume using DM...this is why I suggested Partition Magic 8.0, which you can download from Symantec here...

http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

One other thing you can do is delete the D volume (as long as it doesn't contain any data you can't live without), by right clicking the volume and selecting "Delete Volume". You can then do the same with the extended partition, then create a volume in the remaining space...which would be the total of D, the extended volume, and the unallocated space (as you have it set up now).

There's also online support which contains a lot of good information regarding the Disk Management tool and it's usage, which can be found by selecting "Help and Support" from the Start menu...and typing Disk Management in the "Search" field.

Ahh, I don't know if I can delete the whole D volume, I already have games and stuff deleted.. I think I have a copy of PM7 I got from my mom, I will give that a shot, if not I will just delete the volumes and create a new one. Thank you much!

Using PM7, you should be able to resize D and the extended partition it's contained within...so that it combines the unallocated space. This way you wouldn't lose any of your data on D...you could just increase the size of the volume, leaving your data unscathed.

Back