• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened to diamond?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, Diamond Multi Media, once my favorite company, no more!

Let's see..

1. Once 3Dfx went and pulled a bonehead move and stopped OEM'ing chips, Diamond had no other choice but go to S3 for their Savage line.

2. S3 and Diamond I guess liked each other a lot, enough that S3 bought Diamond (probably for the RIO) and stopped the video card line.

3. After less than a year Diamond ceased to exist, however you could for a while go to their website to get drivers, but development of those stopped pretty much around the time that they got bought out.

It sucks, I once had a computer with all Diamond MM components (Vid, Sound, Modem) except a motherboard, which they made, I just never got around to getting it (didn't like it much tho).

Shawn
:(

Man thats sux. I loved my viper 550 back in the day. Some rich guy should bring 3DFX and diamond back from the dead to rule the vid card market once again. Long live ATI:rolleyes:

How was that history lesson? My memory is that S3 bought Diamond to do the "3dfxs" and go making their own boards. The boards failed and didnt sell, S3 got into trouble, and finaly the graphics portion was sold to VIA. Leaving behind Diamond with its RIO. Also, I remember Diamond making Nvidia boards at time, which it droped after S3 came. I dont remember if Diamond ever made Voodoo2 boards.

This is just the way I remember it, anyone got better memory?

All i know is I had a Diamond V770 for the longest time and it rocked.

I cried when they died.

That rhymes

I still have 2 diamond voodoo boards I used to use in sli mode.
I think I paid $199 ea.
Last time I saw them for sale retail they were selling for $8.00 :(

yah maha- you kinda missed a large chunk. like the fact that i have a diamond 64k pci video card :/ - DIamond has a huge history and has been around a long time- and yes they made voodoo cards- in fact the 1st ever 3d card was the Monster3d Diamond card with the voodoo1 chipset from 3dfx.

then you had the 1st 3d vid cqard to really kick -called the Monster3dII- a voodoo2 8 or 12 meg board you could SLI together (inside the case the cards had a port to connect them to eachother and you effectivly could get 24 megs of video memory- but remember this was when the 8meg card cost 150 and the 12 was 200... but my roomate and i each had 1 12 meg M3d2.. so we tried the SLi when Unreal the original 1st dropped- it was the best looking game id ever seen graphics wise- it was astounding what 24 megs could do to game code back then.. so yes Diamond and voodoo were close for a while :/ .. topo bad they stoped..

3dfx forever

Damnit I want them back!!! They were and would be so much better then nivda and ati are now.:(

Back