• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video cards 101 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right,and just in case you are wondering which is better,they both have cards that offer similar performance for the price.

Depends, I would probably take a 9600pro over a particularly bad 9800se, because hte 9600 runs cooler and likely overclocks more.

but some 9800 se's can be flashed to pros. I think if you got a good quality one it would do better than a 9600 pro.

i always just kinda thought that the difference is Nvidia=raw power/high clocks, ATI=IQ/eye candy that wont totally kill performance.

with my luck i'd get a junk card, especially with how my luck is going this summer :-/

120-130, shouldnt really spend that much but i dont want to cheap out too bad on a vid card

ATI is Canadian
ATI said:
The company has more than 2,200 employees across its headquarters in Markham, Ontario

Nvidia is American
Nvidia said:
NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, California
That's the only difference :rolleyes:
oh, besided for the fact that they make different products

that would normally upset me but marajuana is now legal/decriminalized up there so i can't say anything bad about a government that would do such a thing =)

The_Jizzler said:
i always just kinda thought that the difference is Nvidia=raw power/high clocks, ATI=IQ/eye candy that wont totally kill performance.

might have been true with past generations, but now they are almost the same.

It can also boil down to what game you are planning to play. Some of the card makers optimize for certian games. Doom3 plays better on NVidia, while HL2 might do better on the ATI.
Now drivers... I always loved the Nvidia drivers and the ATI drivers always kinda stunk... Now since I got a ATI card and got to try the Cat's they seem to have gotten the drivers to better levels, minus some bugs. I never had an issue putting a new gen driver for my old 32 meg TNT2 , while the older Rage pro I had, required specific drivers. I have newer generation cards now, and both ATI and NVidia are almost to close to call now. Some games play better with a ATI some NVidia.
It just comes down to how you like the look of the card (color and layout) and what your goal is. Some cards makers have gems and some are just junk in real life usage.. I woudn't go by brand as much as specific models of cards. :D The actual maker of the card can matter too.

Last edited:
thanks for the input. where are you from in ohio? i live in Mansfield until i go back to college at OU in Athens

i just bought a 9700pro, for about 140, and it is suppose to be better than a 9600pro, the difference between ati and nvidia is simply who builds the cards, nvidia supplies the chips to other manufacturers to produce cards and ati builds their own, botyh can have equal cards that do the same thing.. depends on what your looking for.

Back