• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I make a mistake sinking my NF7-S?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPetrillo

When you sink mosfet's doing it by putting a blob of thermal paste in the middle and a dab of crazy glue on the cornors of the mosfet and then pushing the sink down on top of it is it bad if the glue and thermal paste mix?

This was my 1st time doing it and I wasnt so great at it. I sinked a total of 8 mosfets, 2 PLL's and my SB. Out of those 11 I probably screwed up on 5 or 6 of them where it mixed and then wouldnt stick... :bang head

So then I would have to lift the sink back off and wipe it off the bottom and the mosfet, but the thing is some of the crazy glue that didnt mix dried up and hardened on the top of the mosfets and that stuff is hard to get off, so I just put down new thermal paste and crazy glue on top of the dried stuff and attached the sinks. Should I have tired to get the dried glue off of the mosfets on the ones I screwed up on before I did them a 2nd time???

You need to remove the dried glue off or you will get an uneven surface. It is very difficult to use crazy glue on the mosfets with on a tiny area to work on. You need to be very careful. I think the home center has some products to dissolve crazy glue.

Here is a tip. Get some 3M two part epoxy and mix it up with liberal ammounts of thermal paste (non conductive type). This is almost the exact same thing as AS epoxy and works very well. Just use a very small amount on each fet and spreadit thin and even then press your sinks on. Leave sit for about 10 mins and there you have it, nicely sinked fets and pll's.

Thanks.

Is it bad though? Like do I def. have to take them off and clean them and get all the glue off and do it again?

You can also just get the sticky thermal pads. Easy to work with and quite effective.

Lvcoyote

Yeah they came with those pads, but I know if you want max performace you should use the AS5 instead, or the artic thermal paste stuff, which is permanent.

What I was doing was mixing equal parts ( 1-1-1 ) Artic Alumina thermal adhesive and Artic Alumina thermal paste , supposedly removeable . From what I've read , it's easy to break the mosfets when removing glue and the like from them .
I gave up on sticking those little sinks on , I rig a 70mm fan directly over the top of the mosfets now .

Good Luck .

Back