• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydrocool Hydro-Stream Waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

hyd1.jpg

It's supposed to be one of the best blocks but has HUGE resistence. You'll need a very powerful pump. 0.12 C/W. :thup:

What do you guys think? Has anyone used it?

nissmo300 said:
What do you guys think? Has anyone used it?

Dont think many ppl have had the chance to use it yet. "Pre-production versions of the Hydro-Stream & Hydro-TEC CPU cooler range are now available for testing and review. Availability of production versions will be announced shortly. "

Impressive looking block, but i'm afraid it might cause flow problems if you use it together with a GPU and/or NB block (unless you have a really strong pump)

A very nice block, no doubt.

I personally feel that JoeC's data on the block is a little confusingly presented. Indeed 0.12C/W seems very impressive, but it comes at a fairly high pressure-drop cost as noted.

Let's assume a 0.3mH2O pressure drop for the rest of the system (tubing + heatercore + fittings) at 1gpm.

At 70W, the HS5 achieves a 0.122C/W at 1gpm with a 2.46mH2O pressure drop. At 1gpm in a full system, the total pressure drop acting against the pump at 1gpm would be ~2.76mH2O. This is something that the Swiftech MCP600 might just be able to achieve at 1gpm. It would probably flow a little slower than that, reducing the performance of the block a fraction.

If we look at the DangerDen RBX it has a 0.136C/W at 1gpm with a 0.36mH2O pressure drop at 1gpm. At 1.5gpm it has a C/W of 0.123 according to Joe's results. At 1.5gpm, the extrapolated full-system pressure drop is just 1.49mH2O. This is something that a Swiftech MCP600 could easily achieve. In fact, the MCP600 would achieve more like 1.75gpm, improving the performance of the TDX block slightly further.

i.e. you are quite right to be thinking about the pressure drop of the block, rather than just the C/W alone. The figures that JoeC is presenting seems to be implying that given a fairly typical sort of pump and radiator, one would actually see slightly better performance with a TDX than the HS5.

If however we were talking about coupling something like an Eheim 1046 to the water-cooling system, then with this sort of pump, the HS5 would be in front instead. i.e. quite to the contrary of what Joe is saying, the HS5 actually excels in weak pump scenarios.

Whoops. I thought it was a European block. Nevermind.

I think pHaestus needs to get his hands on this block so we can see a wider range of flow rates. What pump does JoeC use anyway?

Back