• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v2 - Sound Problems ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FATAL ENIGMA

NF7-S v2 - Sound Problems.....please help!!!!!!

I had had it working fine before when I first installed mobo but I just noticed there is no sound when PC boots or at shutdown since finally getting all my parts together and reinstalling mobo. And I guess I noticed this due to trying to play an mp3 file and I get an error now saying directsound driver not found or similar.

what happened and how do I fix this?

thanks for any help..... ;)

as a note: I only have one PC so I did have another mobo and all in here but recently installed the nf7-s v2 again since my new ram arrived. I also had to do a fix on the OS (winxp pro) with the xp disc to finally get it bootable.

Last edited:
in >control panel> sound and audio It shows as having no audio device

what is going on here :bang head

well I seemed to have fixed this and now have sound by updating drivers in device manager - but where did the soundstorm control panel dissapear to? Seems I remember it being minimized in tray before?

anyone have a clue how to get this back? Or am I imagining things :D

start, run, then type in msconfig, then startup. You should see a start up item that has to do with the soundstorm control panel. Check the box if it is not checked (If it is already checked, uncheck it and recheck it). This should bring the control panel back once you reboot. If you get a error after the reboot about the control panel not able to be loaded, then reinstall the control panel.

Nerull said:
start, run, then type in msconfig, then startup. You should see a start up item that has to do with the soundstorm control panel. Check the box if it is not checked (If it is already checked, uncheck it and recheck it). This should bring the control panel back once you reboot. If you get a error after the reboot about the control panel not able to be loaded, then reinstall the control panel.
hmmm well it isnt listed in msconfig to be able to see if it's checked or not :(

any suggestions? I looked on Abit disc that came with board, it wasnt listed on there to install it

if its not there, reinstall the control panel. For some reason everything was deleted. Have you tested your memory as of late and have you done a reinstall of windows lately. Also, have you installed SP2 if running XP?

Nerull said:
if its not there, reinstall the control panel. For some reason everything was deleted. Have you tested your memory as of late and have you done a reinstall of windows lately. Also, have you installed SP2 if running XP?
I just got my new PQI memory and have just completed all the testing yesterday in fact to make sure all of that end is ok and stable (see sig) but I have not upgraded to SP2 because I have heard some horror stories some have had and I dont want to write myself into a chapter in that book right now :clap:

I do have SP1a though and also, yes I did reformat or actually just used xp disk to fix problems so it could finally boot when I put this mobo and setup back in PC

The reason why I asked about SP2 is because I had issues with SP2 and the soundstorm drivers. Just ended up getting a SB live 5.1 card (I personally like SP2 and the performance it gives).

Now with testing your memory, this did include memory test 86 correct? And if so, how long did you let it run?

Also, you are using the latest 4.-- audio drivers correct?

yes all memtested out ok 7+ hours

memory wouldnt explain soundstorm dissappearing, searches come up empty too so I have no clue how to get it back?

Abit's site doesnt offer it as a download either

If you had a memory error then it could of caused the OS to error out and could of caused the OS to do something wacky, so yes bad memory could of caused the OS to delete things that shouldnt be.

But the more you explain, the more it sounds like XP could of possible had a bad install, which is not unusall, especially if OCed when installing.

If this happens again or if other things start happening.

First: lower the OC, if OCed.
Second: if that does not help or you are not OCed, then resinstall XP with a full formate.
Third: If this still happens after a freash install, recheck memory and test HDD and IDE cables.

If all else fails, go buy a 30.00 sound blaster live 5.1 SC.

You will have to go to Nvidia's site to get the latest drivers (if you havent already).

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Nerull said:
If you had a memory error then it could of caused the OS to error out and could of caused the OS to do something wacky, so yes bad memory could of caused the OS to delete things that shouldnt be.

But the more you explain, the more it sounds like XP could of possible had a bad install, which is not unusall, especially if OCed when installing.

If this happens again or if other things start happening.

First: lower the OC, if OCed.
Second: if that does not help or you are not OCed, then resinstall XP with a full formate.
Third: If this still happens after a freash install, recheck memory and test HDD and IDE cables.

If all else fails, go buy a 30.00 sound blaster live 5.1 SC.

You will have to go to Nvidia's site to get the latest drivers (if you havent already).

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
thanks for the help, i have rechecked everything I can think of and it's quite possibly a bad OS install as I have had those before. Maybe a total fdisk would solve it which I hate to do but I'd rather do that than buy a sound card :)

I wont get into full details on why I ended up getting a new SC, but it caem down to SP2 messing with the drivers and the soundstorm not wanting to work in anything past 4 speaker mode. And I sure wasnt going to send my new logitech 6.1 speakers back. And honestly, even though this is the cheap SB live 5.1 (not the 24 bite SC), the sound is much better and my resources are not going crazy now.

Good luck, hopefully a new install will fix your issue.

Try installing the latest Nvidia driver package, ver 4.27 for XP. It uses NVmixer now instead of the old soundstorm control panel.

GL

Lvcoyote

Back