• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modgod1618

Registered
right now i own a XFX FX5200 which i mainly use for halo and it rly isnt cuttin it for me

i was looking for a new video card that is fairly less expensive and good for halo
if u know of one plz post

thx
-MODgod

Not really, for 100.00 and below you are going to be pretty much in teh same boat as you are now.

If you can sit this card out and save up for a X800 or 6800. Then that would be the way to go. If you can't, then a 9800 Pro would be the next best thing. The Pro's wont be discontinued for at least another year or so.

The 9800 Pro will eventually be the budget card, but that wont be for a little while. ATI had already stated that they will start fading out the 9200's and 9600's. Not sure what Nvidia's plans are.

The 9800 will never be a budget card, mainly because it costs a lot more to make one than it does a 9600, or X600/X700. The X700 will replace it in that price range as a mid-range card.

Nerull said:
POWERCOLOR RADEON 9800 PRO EZ Video Card (OEM) 159.00 with free shipping. (retail version is 165.00 w/free shipping)

This card (9800 Pro) will still be a good card another year or two.

If this is too expensive for you, please post what your limit is.

Just so you know this isn't the 9800pro that most people have, this one has a 128bit mem while other more expensive pros have the 256bit mem. I'm also looking for a cheap card that will play the games that I do now to put in another box to be able to play with friends when they come over, I was looking at the 9800se for $119 at newegg but they are out of them right now but since it isn't for my main pc I',m willing to gamble to see if I get one with all the pipes working.

Just so you know. This is my old 9800 Pro, so yes I did know this was the 128bit 9800 ;). I also figured they were on a budget and could not afford a 256 bit 9800 Pro.

That card I listed is still better then a 9800SE. SO I went with the happy medium that I figured they could afford right now, and still not have to really worry about upgrading for another year or so.

man dont go with an 9800se they are stripped down versions of the reg 9800's if i where you man get a 9800pro or something close to it but not a 9800se youll just be telling ati that every one doesnt know how to read there card specs

I just said I was willing to gamble on a 256bit 9800se and try to get a working pro since I already have a pro, now if he doesn't want to gamble on it is another story. But modgod1618 if you are willing to get something used you could get 9700 on ebay or a 9500np (256bit) which outperforms a 9600pro. I would suggest a nvidia card if I knew more about them I know that the ti4200 are supposed to be good cards for around $65 to $80 used but they don't support 9.0dx.

Back