Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Tube Guitar Amps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 09-07-04, 11:07 AM Thread Starter   #1
Roboman101

Tube Guitar Amps

i'm wondering if anybody knows anything about these, i recently picked up (out of trash can) an Ampeg VT-40 from the late 60's/early 70's, and it worked fine, just had to replace a fuse, but a few weeks ago, it blew out one of it's output tubes, a 7027A, and i need to find a replacement, but nobody in town sells them or can get them, and i'd like to swap the 7027A's for something more common, i've read that 6L6-GC's, or 6550 would work, any confirmation?

Thanks for any help
Roboman101 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-07-04, 11:25 AM   #2
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

If your talking vaccuum tubes you may have to look in the dump or ebay to find any. I don't know if anyone makes them anymore. My dad has some stereo components that use them and all I know is that they are ungodly expensive.

Old 09-07-04, 11:54 AM Thread Starter   #3
Roboman101

yes, vacuum tubes, and they are actually fairly common now, with many manufactureres making the common ones, and one making 7027A's

and 40 for a matched pair for cheap ones up to 150 or more for new old stock
Old 09-07-04, 12:26 PM   #4
mateo88

Just do a google search, and search around diyaudio.com. You shouldn't have any problem finding replacements.
mateo88 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-07-04, 04:14 PM   #5
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Ok here you go:

Military grade even so they are probably more expensive than fleabay.

Edit: As luck would have it, the guy who hooked me up with that supplier called right after I posted. He tells me that the "a" designation probably means that it is one of a matched set. So the military grade stuff is probably going to work fine even without the "a" designation.

Last edited by Malpine Walis; 09-07-04 at 04:24 PM.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-07-04, 05:14 PM   #6
SysCrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman101
i'm wondering if anybody knows anything about these, i recently picked up (out of trash can) an Ampeg VT-40 from the late 60's/early 70's, and it worked fine, just had to replace a fuse, but a few weeks ago, it blew out one of it's output tubes, a 7027A, and i need to find a replacement, but nobody in town sells them or can get them, and i'd like to swap the 7027A's for something more common, i've read that 6L6-GC's, or 6550 would work, any confirmation?

Thanks for any help
Go to musiciansfriend.com. That's where I get all mine from. 7027 is an output tube. Personally I like the 12AX7A for pre-amp tubes. 6L6 or EL34 for a power tube. I prefer the 6L6's myself. If you get the power tubes get them in a matched set. To be honest I think the only output tube you can use is the 6L6's to replace the 7027's with. Ampeg wired the output to use the 6L6's originally but just used the 7027's for a cheap(at the time) replacement. The 6L6's will handle higher voltages and put out better then the 7027's.
You can even get some heatsinks for them too. For a neat trick, Get you some thin pieces of sheet metal. About 2"X3" strips. Bend them in half and wedge them inbetween the tubes. Makes for some nice harmonics and feedback. LOL
SysCrusher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-07-04, 06:48 PM   #7
MadSkillzMan

yea, tube amps are common, id say replace all the tubes. heres the thing, if one tube "blows" your screwed. happened to my teacher, and a bandmate. Thing started smokin, teacher was lucky his amp survived.

You are VERY lucky to find a tube amp! id just find a local little guitar store. ud be surprised how many are around you.

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
ATI 9600, dual monitors - 19" AOC LCD's, 42" RCA Plasma!
OC'ed Super Drive (8x SL to 16x DL, i heart firmware flash)
Backup Rig: 4 x Dell Optiplex G270 2.8ghz HT 1Gb ram
iPod Touch 3.1.2 Jailbroken!
OSX 5.8
MadSkillzMan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-08-04, 10:23 AM Thread Starter   #8
Roboman101

i went to a local place yesterday, and they wanted to charge me $60 for a pair of 7027's, i said i'll think about it, meaning i'll probably buy a pair of sovetek or tesla/JJ-slovakia tubes off the net for either 40 or 50 a matched pair.

and any other preamp tubes are now in production, except a 12DX7A, but that can be replaced with a 12AX7A, so HOORAY!

now i just need an electric guitar

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-08-04, 02:23 PM   #9
MadSkillzMan

yea tubes are costly. my teachers fender, costs him something like 200$ to replace almost all the tubes sounding SEMI good (hes never happy w. it)

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
ATI 9600, dual monitors - 19" AOC LCD's, 42" RCA Plasma!
OC'ed Super Drive (8x SL to 16x DL, i heart firmware flash)
Backup Rig: 4 x Dell Optiplex G270 2.8ghz HT 1Gb ram
iPod Touch 3.1.2 Jailbroken!
OSX 5.8
MadSkillzMan is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.