• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

has overclocking my cpu caused this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toms100

Registered
before last wednesday i had none of the aforementioned problems;
I have a duron 1400 which i overclocked it to 2ghz (200*10). my ram is pc3500 (of the kingston variety). then on friday, i got corrupt file errors and was told to run chkdsk, and i xp ran it when it rebooted.

firefox favourites, history, passwords etc got lost.
then azureus stoped working.
then my mouse stoped working.

somehow my harddrive had become 'damaged' according to xp install.
so anyway, after a day of faffing around, i downloaded a maxtor boot cd and wrote 0's to the harddrive which seemed to fix it and allowed me to boot into windows.
but now i have had one of those corrupt file errors, AND azureus seems unable to compelte a download as each time it checks a finished file, it thinks it is corrupted in someway and downloads it again....

so, is all of this a result of my oc? :cry:

hmm, i have had problems like that from running my FSB too far out of spec... but if you are running 200mhz on the fsb then you obviously have either a locked PCI bus or a PCI divider at that speed, so it cant be that. It COULD be caused by the CPU overclock, but i dont think i have ever heard of that. Was your CPU always overclocked, or did you overclock it and then get this problem right away. If it was overclocked before then it could be just bad luck, or a bad IDE cable (i have also had this problem caused by cheap rounded cables... flat cables ARE better for harddrives.)

Well if your CPU isn't 100% stable then everytime you use the computer it makes small errors and over time it adds up and makes it so windows can't boot. Errors don't have to be big they just have to be there.

Back