• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much space for linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Gonna partition my new hard drive soon and wanna know how much unallocated space I should leave for Linux. I think I'll go with Suse or Red Hat. I dont need much storage space on the drive for tons of apps or games. I just wanna have linux installed so I can play with it.

4 GB should do the trick for ya so long as you don't need alot of storage, the base install will use around 2 GB.

I'd say if you're just going to play, and space isn't at a premium, 4 GB should do you more than nicely. That way you can do a full package install (skip the languages if you don't need them). It's really convenient to have all the packages there and installed and not to have to fish for CD's or download RPM's from the internet.

Aww, but it's fun trying to find your way around in a new OS when you're completely lost already and you figure out that it's all in German!

RedHat 7.3
Custom Installation (Minimal): 350MB
Server: 1.3GB
Workstation: 1.8GB
Custom Installation (Everything): 3.7GB

RedHat 8.0
Custom Installation (Minimal): 400MB
Server: 1.3GB
Personal Desktop: 1.8GB
Workstation: 2.3GB
Custom Installation (Everything): 4.5GB

RedHat 9