• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NetBIOS???????????????????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure why you would need to do that? It is becoming increasingly common for providers to block ports 139,138,137 so you may not even be able to. In itself netbios outside the network is not dangerous it just that you dont want to brodcast and you need to configure your system so that access to sharing is not available except what you specifically want to grant access to and to whom. Lots of exploits exist for 137-139.
Edit: If you are talking about sharing withing the network and using netbious just open up a range inside the network -like 192.168.254.1 - 192.168.254.9, your firewall rules should still keep you secure from know attacks. Its possible I dont understand the question? Also what firewall do you use?

Last edited:
Ok I have a ZA and I have a a net gear router with a hardware firewall. Ok so when I set up my workgroup and I click on my network places I see my computers but when I connect to them ZA says that it blocked netbios. I can still acess my network but was wondering if Netbios needs acess to do something. I suppose if my network is working I don't. I hope this makes sense :(

You shouldn't allow Netbios out onto the Internet.

You'll probably want it on your lan though.

Back