• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to put my rad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol my son is gonna be walking soon... anyone with kids knows they go right for the most expensive stuff to break it! lmao

I think i can mount it behind the 3 1/2 inch cage, but it'll be a tight fit. Might only get 1 120mm fan on instead of the 2 i wanted hehe. Can just cut off the bottom 2 or 3 slots on the cage.

Suspend it in the optical drive bays.
Here is an example.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=8&page=1

I did the same and the cuda is almost silent. But it gets hot up there. So have a undervolted fan blowing quietly on it. Again I suspended the fan. My aim was to make the pc as quiet as possible.

Another option is to get one of the HDD enclosures and mount it in one of the optic drive slots.

Where to put your rad.........

Looks like the Swifty rad. If it will accept 2 120mm fans, its got to be at least 9.5 inches long and 5 wide, not counting fittings, mtg flanges etc. You could always go up top on the outside, or I have seen some mounted on the right side of the case externally as well. I have toyed with the idea of mounting a setup on the right side externally at an angle, and then building a duct that looks like a hood off of a big block Chevy Mailbu.

Yes it is a swifty's rad :p

It's designed to take up 2 120mm fan slots on the outside of a case... so i might just suck it up and put it on the outside of the case, or just mount it on my side window of my tower.

could always cut out the hd mount racks and either get a HD 5.25 to 3.5 adapter, or get one of those removable HD racks that fits in a 5.25 bay.

Best spot is the front of the case IMO, either there or very top of the case. Otherwise it wont be fully inside im suspecting.

You got the wrong rad for that case bubba. Swiftech makes one designed for the 120mm slot... this one they designed for the dual 80 cases like the chieftech dragons.

Slice and dice or return.

I would remove the lower drive cage.I would then cut out the right side of the case to accept the rad,and have the 2x120 fans mounted inside the case sucking air in.I would then take the H/D cage and SLIDE it to the LEFT so that it is away from the fans for the rad.Mod the H/D cage so that the rad fans can actuall blow on the hard drives.

Yeah, I suggest moving your HD's up as high in the cage as you can and then cutting off the drive cage below that. It should fit there - your case is designed very similar to mine and that's where I plan to put my radiator.

Could I suggest that you lay it down in the bottom of the case. It sounds funny at first.. but think of this:

- cut out a portion of the bottom so you can get outside air in from that area.
- mount it over this location (you can use MDF if you want to) so that it sucks the air underneath the case up towards your motherboard.
- you can even custom design some grill to put over the rectangular hole, and don't worry too much about the apearance as it will be under your case and mounting material for the radiator.
- put your fans over the radiator just under your mobo with a shroud. Now you are also blowing air all over your components.
- you'll have to raise your case someway. This kind of a setup would be easier with a case like the Coolermaster Stacker because of the precut bottom grill and the legs that come with the case, but you can adapt your case for it.
- If you can manage to fit it in... you'll have an internal setup and save some drive bays.

If you can't do it this way, the only thing I can see is going external, maybe a box. Otherwise you are going to cripple your case in some way.

Have fun and best of luck.

Hmm SunTzu69 that is a great point about mounting it underneath. I acually might consider that, because it'll free up TONS of space in my case. Plus i really don't want to cut my HD cage because i might want to run duel raptors someday lol.

Depending on how wide my rad is, i might even be able to mod it in one of my HD bay slots. I am hoping i can do that :p

God i can't wait to get this in the mail... i am going NUTS trying to figure out where to put all my goodies :D

Back