• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would 1Gb upgrade be worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, it really depends on what you use your computer for. If you are a heavy gamer or load multiple programs at once then I recommend going to a gig. You will not run any faster though.
It looks like you overclock. The quality of the memory is more important for that than the size.

gvblake22, you will see an appreciable performance improvement by upgrading to 1 gig. And your impressive sig leads me to believe you easily will find it worth the $.

Gaming is probably the most intensive thing I do. Maybe I'll just wait until a whole platform upgrade (A64) in a year or two and then go with 1 GB. My biggest bottleneck for gaming is prolly just my 9600 pro... :rolleyes:

And thanks for the compliment 1Time!:)

I think it would be worth it. Especially if you like to run lots of programs while you game like I do. Right now im running about 46 processes in task manager and im using about 68% of 1GB. If I play an older game I have no problem going from a desktop stage to playing an older game as they don't take up much mem, but if I play Doom 3, Far Cry, UT2004 or games like that (newer), I have to close some programs to free up ram as they gobble it all up from the game. Games and programs and OS's will take up more and more ram in the year(s) to come, by the time you upgrade 1.5 or 2GB (2GB more than likely because its hard to run 1.5 in dual channel) may be the standard for people like me who run lots of programs while they game.

hmmm, ususally I'm running just under 40 processes at one time (~35). Not very often more than 40.

Oh yeah, and Gustav, that thing in your sig is CrAzY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

->*What's the best way to see how much % of your available primary storage (RAM) you are using up??

Yeah task manager shows it, but I like using AIDA32 as it shows just about everything from temps, to fan rpms, to voltages, to what video card you have and info on it, to hard drives, to netowork information, to uptime, to login count, and the list continues.

tskmgr.jpg

Simply look at Physical Memory (K) not the bar graph which shows PF (Page File) usage. In mine I'm using 602MB of ram for the system cache, while 419MB is available.

gvblake22 said:
....My biggest bottleneck for gaming is prolly just my 9600 pro... :rolleyes:

9600's (I have a 9600XT) play games quite happily, as long as you're not expecting uber-framerates at 1600*1200...

Doom3 runs great at medium detail, 1024*768 settings on my PC, it's when I do any video work that I slow down, through lack of memory.....

So I've just ordered another 512Meg stick of PC2700 from Crucial. :) Onwards and upwards!

So the answer is Yes, it would be worth it.

I say that it is worth it if you game a lot. The current trend in games, i.e. Far Cry and Doom 3, eat up a lot of memory so a gig will help you a lot. According the Cacheman, when I play D3 my memory usage goes up to ~1021MB from ~280MB before the game is loaded.

Going gig will give you some performance increase if you play these types of games since there will be less file swaping.

Back