• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many frames in UT2004?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terminat.

With an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ At 2.19Ghz (3200+ Barton), 1GB PC3200 DDR and an overclocked 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro I run these settings on UT2004:

1280*1024 Resolution.
Absolute Max. Details on everything.
4xAA And 16xAF.

And I get 40+ frames per second, so I can only wonder what you guys get with 9800 Pro's and 6800's. :)

Depends what map.

On Deathmatch maps i get around 80fps-100 at 1600x1200 wth no AA and 16x AF.

ONS maps go as low as 20. CPU isn't helping im sure, and bots are stressful on CPU i think?

@1024 by 768. In single player game my average fps is around 90

in online ONS games, it varies from 30fps to 70fps depending on the map (and the laggers in the game of course :bang head )

oh ya, normal (default) details (x-ept World Detail is set on High). And since im in the middle of Overclocking my card, ill probably set all the settings on high soon as im done, see how it handles.

1024x768 max details 2xaa/8xaf, i get around 50-60fps in dm, around 30-40 or so in ons and some ctf. the bots are VERY cpu dependent (or maybe fsb dependent), throwing ten in on any map almost makes this system crawl, but set to map defaults, the game flies.

Why is that?

I have C&C Generals from 2003, and that runs on max. settings at 1280*1024. However, when it is set to anything higher than 2xAA, it slows to a crawl. 16xAF is fine, but 4xAA is a definite no-no.

Why is that? C&C Generals is an older game, so shouldn't the 9600 Pro handle AA better on it?

Amazing!

In one word: amazing! :)

I saw this game was recommended around the forum back at the beginning of the summer, and I thought: okay, I'll try it. I was expecting it to be a reasonably good game.

However, it is incredible! From the music, to the amazing landscapes, to the interesting team aspects of hiring different species: aliens, humans and robots to fight for your team (and then paying them of course), to even betting with other teams on matches!

I haven't played UT2003 but this one's supposed to be far, far better.

Last edited:
AA is anti-aliasing and AF is anisotrophic filtering. They come on several levels: 2x, 4x and 6x for AA, and 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x for AF. Both can be enabled by right-clicking on the desktop, going to properties > settings > advanced.

Anti-aliasing smoothes out any sharp or jagged areas in the game. This makes the game seem far more realistic and graphically beautiful, as any texture problems are removed.

Anisotrophic filtering radically enhances the colours of a game, making them seem far more vibrant and life-like.

However, both are very intensive on your video card. Frame rates often drop hugely when enabling either of these features. Enabling them will be far more of an effort for your video card than say, increasing the level of detail to maximum.

i just started a (couple of) UT2004 benchmarking session(s)on my P4 rig, ill post the results as soon as im done :)

ive got average FPS's for a certain recorded demo for 1024x768, 1280x1024, 6xAA, 16xAF, no AA, no AF, precache player skins, not precache player skins..and at different clock speeds, im halfway done, i just need to finish the tests for 1024mb RAM (tested for 512)

generally, my FPS sucks in UT2004 (atleast, it sucks when i need it most, in a battle) my FPS usually goes from 20 to 75 (vsynced) but it hangs in the mid 20's when im in a fight..

edit: settings are maxed out at 1024x768 6xAA 16xAF, ill post some results here tomorrow when my P4 (with the benchmarking document) is done with its nightly memtesting :)

edit: anyone know how to benchmark in UT2004? 2003 had special demos for it.. 2004 still has the Dir for the benchmarks, but there arent any there :/

Use BenchEmAll

To Jognt: Use the program "Bench Em'All." Just put it in a search engine and you'll come up with a site offering it as a free download.

This program benchmarks a number of programs for you, including UT2004 and UT2003 as well as games such as Far Cry.

By the way: Rus, it wasn't a stupid question you asked. All of us here on the forum didn't know what AA and AF was at one point. I am glad to have helped. :)

rus said:
@1024 by 768. In single player game my average fps is around 90

My mistake, game was running at 800by600 with 90fps, at 1024by768 its at about 40-50 :p

This is a cool game that doesnt bring your video card to its knee's.My fps are not a factor @1024x768.I dont have to go crazy trying to Max out my system to play it.

Back