• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplier Unlocked PII/300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillysNut

Senior Jeep Nut
No..I'm not kidding..I know this is gonna sound way out there. But I am currently in posession of an unlocked P2-300. It's the first stepping (C0) of the 300 (SL28R)...made in the philippines.

Get this...it was in an Intel TeamStation system. Used for video conferencing. The first version of the box..3.0. We have two of them at the office that we were using for various menial testing procedures. We had taken them on a trade for newer 5.0 TeamStations w/ P3's.

We scrapped one of 'em today and I got to take the puppy home! So far I've played around w/ 3.0 and 3.5. I'll attach a couple of shots in a few..I know it's just my word but I am not kidding..This is no great overclocker but what a keepsake :).

quite a few klamoth core p2's were unlocked, even a few that weren't could be unlocked by the pin b21 trick. of course the core only ever reached 300mhz so wouldn't go much beyond that, I got a 233 stable at 370mhz and posting at 400 or so (not sure exatly what it was)

AmbientFiction said:
Very nice willy you going to put that puppy to folding?

Ambient...congrats on becoming a Senior my folding friend!! I've only got one slot 1 board right now. I need to see if the 512k, 1/2 speed L2 cache on the P2 is gonna make a good folder. My celeron 433 will do 540 so I'm not sure how everything even's out. I haven't been able to get it above 370MHz around the 100MHz FSB mark..even with the voltage cranked.

Gonna run a few WU's and see how the times work out and then I'll decide if the celery stays or goes. I'd have to think the P2 is gonna be better but we'll have to see. Congrats again on the hard work and all that good stuff that made you a senior!! :)

Phil said:
quite a few klamoth core p2's were unlocked, even a few that weren't could be unlocked by the pin b21 trick. of course the core only ever reached 300mhz so wouldn't go much beyond that, I got a 233 stable at 370mhz and posting at 400 or so (not sure exatly what it was)

Thanks for the info Phil. I had a feeling that this core might be special as I drove home today but this is just awesome. It's, uh, like an antique :). Looks like the 370MHz mark is where I'm gonna end up. I don't forsee any drastic cooling measures in this chip's future. Man this stuff is fun!

WillysNut said:

Ambient...congrats on becoming a Senior my folding friend!! I've only got one slot 1 board right now. I need to see if the 512k, 1/2 speed L2 cache on the P2 is gonna make a good folder. My celeron 433 will do 540 so I'm not sure how everything even's out. I haven't been able to get it above 370MHz around the 100MHz FSB mark..even with the voltage cranked.

Gonna run a few WU's and see how the times work out and then I'll decide if the celery stays or goes. I'd have to think the P2 is gonna be better but we'll have to see. Congrats again on the hard work and all that good stuff that made you a senior!! :)

Well kepp us posted on that and thank you I didn't even think it would happen this soon it was a shock to me but I am loving it. I am trying to help 10 the ammount of what people helped me(I hope that makes sence) Its what makes OC the best site.

I have unlocked P2 333MHz. It was stable at 4.5x100MHz and
3x133MHz. well now it works only at 2.5x133(333MHz).
Something is broken! When I tryed 2.2Vcore instead of 2.0V,
the processor won't work anymore, exept that 133x2.5!
Even 100x3 or 100x2.5 won't work!!! DAMN!!!
And this: Before: 66x5(333)-3Dmark2000-3100marks
After: 133x2.5(333)-3Dmark2000-2350marks

Something is wrong!!!?

Phil said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if my memory serves me correctly the pin b21 trick was used in attempts to turn down the voltage on the chip because that was the other half of Intels trick in keeping us from overclocking those chips. Some very good people went to work and figured a safer way to get the job done and the result is the adapter card that allowed voltage tweaking.

WillysNut said:
No..I'm not kidding..I know this is gonna sound way out there. But I am currently in posession of an unlocked P2-300. It's the first stepping (C0) of the 300 (SL28R)...made in the philippines.

Get this...it was in an Intel TeamStation system. Used for video conferencing. The first version of the box..3.0. We have two of them at the office that we were using for various menial testing procedures. We had taken them on a trade for newer 5.0 TeamStations w/ P3's.

We scrapped one of 'em today and I got to take the puppy home! So far I've played around w/ 3.0 and 3.5. I'll attach a couple of shots in a few..I know it's just my word but I am not kidding..This is no great overclocker but what a keepsake :).
I think if you look closely at that puppy it should have have a manufacture date before August 1998. Intel did not lock PII's prior to Aug 1998. Can she do 550? I have a 300A that will do 498 (sitting in a box somewhere around here.:D

Last edited:
r_wesleyjr said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if my memory serves me correctly the pin b21 trick was used in attempts to turn down the voltage on the chip because that was the other half of Intels trick in keeping us from overclocking those chips. Some very good people went to work and figured a safer way to get the job done and the result is the adapter card that allowed voltage tweaking.

the pin b21 trick was to allow a 100mhz fsb on none 100mhz fsb chips, but on older p2's it disabled the multiplyer.

Oh and tonsku about you no longer being able to overclock, to me that sounds like a heat issue, especially the increased voltage stopping it booting at all. Have you done anything with the heatsink. It may be worth removing the p2's casing and lapping both the core and heatsink and putting some fresh heat transfer compound on. I got my friends p2 333 up to 500mhz doing that but he didn't want to risk it and put it back down to 333

well, I have P2 233 running as a server, I had it on my P3V4X once, and I was shocked: I could change the multiplier between 2.5 and 4.0...that's really strange..so, I had it running @2.5x100...cool..I couldn't believe...I wish I had a better board to run it 2.5x133 or something...it does up to 360...

Hey guys, just thinking about it, but do you think there is a way my old pentium 233mmx could be unlocked?

That would be soo kewl!..

And Hey! congrads on the antiuqe, sounds like fun :)

-Trek

I've still got an old PII 300 around (somewhere..). Not as old as your's though, it's the Deschutes core (.25). Never went with outrageous cooling, but being a SL2W8 she cranked along @ 504 Mhz :) Multiplier was locked on that one :(

I too am the proud owner of an unlocked P2 333, SLW-something - runs up to 475 before the L2 cache craps out. Had it at 3.0 x 155 for a while at default volts.

I thought it was normal for a long time, later I found out just how lucky I was to have one of these!!

Not so fast anymore but still good for testing systems for highest FSB!!!

Been doin' some tweakin' but I can't get over the 372MHz mark. It's actually an alright folder too! Took a couple pic's today..been coolin' it w/ a big Delta! :)

Back