• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony SDM-HS94P/S 19inch LCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Section8

Any one see one of these yet? They have them at local Best Buys and Circuit City's. I just tested Doom 3 out on one and it looked very very good. I think it rivals the Dell 2001FP. It boosts a 12ms response time and 500:1 contrast ratio. I just can't decide between it and the Dell. I wish I could compare them side by side. Anyone with a Dell run to Best Buy and compare it for me and tell me you findings...Hehehehe Thanks...

Link
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3989815

i ahve the SDM-HS94P. so far, im very happy with it. there isnt any ghosting, there is a very slight blurring in some games. i chose this over the dell because of the resoltion (1280x1024). i believe this is the best 19" LCD available.

Liquid_Cooled said:
i ahve the SDM-HS94P. so far, im very happy with it. there isnt any ghosting, there is a very slight blurring in some games. i chose this over the dell because of the resoltion (1280x1024). i believe this is the best 19" LCD available.
Thanks for the feedback. You do know the Dell 2001FP has 1600 X 1200 right? The Sony has it beat though in response time 12ms vers 16ms for the Dell. Sony also has it beat in contrast ratio 500:1 vers Dells 400:1. I am seriously considering it. It is the best LCD I have looked at thus far. I wish I could just see the Dell in person so I could compare for myself. Thanks for the response though.

Liquid_Cooled said:

I bought it as well the other day and I am as happy as can be. I can't see any ghosting in Far Cry or Doom 3. This is the best by far that I have ever seen my games look!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 12ms response time rocks!

Section8 said:
Thanks for the feedback. You do know the Dell 2001FP has 1600 X 1200 right?

Sometimes lower resolution is better when your video card can't produce acceptable fps on new games using high resolution.

I actually prefer this Sony over the Dell as well b/c of the response time :)
I think this Sony is a pretty good buy since CC is selling it for $660 after a $100 rebate.

I think there is a drawback on each of these LCD tho. I heard 2001FP has some kind of a screen door effect while the HS94 is hard to view in a bright environment.

Just my 2 cents.
SG

smallghost said:
Sometimes lower resolution is better when your video card can't produce acceptable fps on new games using high resolution.

I actually prefer this Sony over the Dell as well b/c of the response time :)
I think this Sony is a pretty good buy since CC is selling it for $660 after a $100 rebate.

I think there is a drawback on each of these LCD tho. I heard 2001FP has some kind of a screen door effect while the HS94 is hard to view in a bright environment.

Just my 2 cents.
SG

Well he has a 6800 GT so he should have no problem at 1600 X 1200. As far as the Sony being hard to view I have to disagree. Right now I am sitting in a room with direct sunlight (very sunny outside) and I can see everything perfectly clear. That is a great price by the way on the Sony. Are you sure that isn't on the HS93 model though? I just bought my HS94 from Best Buy and they also had the HS93 on sale for $660 there with a $100 mail in rebate. The HS93 has like 25ms response time though. I paid $799 plus I get $100 mail in rebate so I ended up paying $699 total.

actually, my system isnt enough to handle the games i want to play at 1600x1200 (doom3, halo, farcry) in high quality, even tho i have a 6800 GT.
In Doom3, i get 51 fps (1280x1024 HQ Vsync). Sometimes during gameplay, it dips to 28fps. In Halo, i play it at 1280x1024 HQ smoothly, but cannot apply any AA or AQ of else it becomes choppy. Still testing with Farcry....

there are some flaws with my SDM94P tho....
1. there isnt much ghosting (if any), but there is noteicable blurring.
2. the black levels in doom3 arent as "black" as they should be (tried all settings)
3. textures have a "grainy" affect, not as smooth as my CRT.
4. bezel is so big.....

Liquid_Cooled said:
actually, my system isnt enough to handle the games i want to play at 1600x1200 (doom3, halo, farcry) in high quality, even tho i have a 6800 GT.
In Doom3, i get 51 fps (1280x1024 HQ Vsync). Sometimes during gameplay, it dips to 28fps. In Halo, i play it at 1280x1024 HQ smoothly, but cannot apply any AA or AQ of else it becomes choppy. Still testing with Farcry....

there are some flaws with my SDM94P tho....
1. there isnt much ghosting (if any), but there is noteicable blurring.
2. the black levels in doom3 arent as "black" as they should be (tried all settings)
3. textures have a "grainy" affect, not as smooth as my CRT.
4. bezel is so big.....

I have not noticed any ghosting in Far Cry, Doom 3 or Painkiller. I am going to try a fast game like Need 4 Speed later and see what happens.

I have not had a problem with the black levels either in Doom 3. Have you turned down the X-Brite setting? I have mine on Medium.

I have not noticed any grainy affect either? I run my resolution at 1280 X 1024 for everything. Maybe the 6800 Ultra helps me here?

Yes the Bezel is to big but if you get the Black Bezel it is hardly noticable.

Back