• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SiS 655 + Prescott = ? Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
Hi all,

I got one heck of a deal going. My grandpa bought a 2.8e and says it is too hot! He hates it, as he must have many fans to keep it cool. Anyway, he wants my 1.6a (which he originally gave me) in trade for his prescott. I have a Gigabyte GA-SINXP motherboard. In bios, the fsb goes up to 355x4, which is a joke. That will be a cold day in hell. Anyway, does anyone know if this SiS 655 chipset is capable of running 200fsb? If not, I have to get a new motherboard, but I would really like to keep this board. Despite what everyone says about the SiS chipsets, the board has been one of the most reliable boards I've ever owned. If anyone has any info, I'd much appreciate it.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R, I can not tell you about the chip set but I would be more worried about the power circuitry on this board and will it be able to handle the demands of a Prescott.

You also will need one stout power supply.

You also are going to have to take special precautions because of the heat issues :mad: . A Prescott is not "Plug and Play".

See my signature for some links that might help you out

If it is set up right you cannot beat a prescott :thup:

Good Luck

Dave

The SIS 655 does not support 800 bus CPUs, let alone Prescotts. You really should get an Abit IC7 series or Asus P4C800 series for the Prescott.

Hmmmm.....Didn't really want to buy another motherboard. Cooling is not an issue. I have 5 case fans, and I will grab a nice heatsink. The board doesn't officially support 800fsb chips, but it's quite possible that it will work.

I will make sure my psu is up to the task and try it out. If not, then I will look into an IC7.

-Collin-

Back