• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NUMA for XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It only works on multi processor Opteron boards that support NUMA and then you have to have RAM on both sets of DIMM slots.

From the article

. . . but please note you need to enable ACPI v 2.x in the DK8N BIOS for XP Pro SP2 & Server 2003 Enterprise or Data Centre Editions to correctly install as NUMA aware.

If you install XP SP1, then wish to run the SP2 patch & have a crack at enabling NUMA, all you need to do after patching is to edit in Notepad the file 'boot.ini' you will find in the root of your boot-drive. This will probably read (something like - ignore the stuff in brackets):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Professional" /noexecute /fastdetect

- add the 'pae' switch, so it reads:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(5)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Professional" /noexecute /fastdetect /pae

After enabling ACPI 2.0 in my BIOS and adding the /pae switch to my boot.ini file it didn't change anything. Sandra still reports I am not running a NUMA aware OS. Also there was no change in bandwidth according to sandra. I think it may have been because i installed SP2 while not having ACPI 2.0 Enabled. I will try again in a few weeks when i do my bi-annual reformat.

Back