Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards
Forum Jump

How to tell if the cmos battery is low...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-10-04, 10:24 PM Thread Starter   #1
RP Racing

How to tell if the cmos battery is low...

Is there any indications of a cmos battery losing power? I tried to clear my cmos by moving the jumper and turning it back on until the cmos checksum error showed up and it wouldnt even start.
RP Racing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 09-10-04, 10:27 PM   #2
meionm

the only indictation that battery is loosing power would after you shut down and boot the bios would be cleared

Q9550, Gigabyte ex38 ds4, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500, evga 8800gt, Corsiar 520w psu, WD 640GB HD, LG Eide Dvd Burner, Antec P182

HEATWARE
meionm is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-11-04, 07:50 AM   #3
Balrog

Try downloading Speedfan, using my AN35N Ultra it picks up a reading on the CMOS battery under the heading VBat

Regards, Balrog
Balrog is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-12-04, 05:23 PM   #4
Gnufsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP Racing
Is there any indications of a cmos battery losing power? I tried to clear my cmos by moving the jumper and turning it back on until the cmos checksum error showed up and it wouldnt even start.
A computer will start with a dead cmos battery, the only problem will be that every time it loses power, all the settings in your bios will revert to default. You may get a cos cecksum error if you cleared you cmos, does it say to press some key to get into setup ad another to continue? If not, check the manual for your board (which board do you have anyway?).

edit: If speedfan doesn't work for you, check the battery voltage with a multimeter, if it is a lot lower than it is supposed to be (the battery may have the voltage written on it), try replacing it.

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
-Sir Winston Churchill
Gnufsh is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-12-04, 11:45 PM Thread Starter   #5
RP Racing

Its a FIC AN11 amd board. Currently still having problems with the multipler for some reason dropped down from 13x to 6.5x. When I run PC Wizard it lists Powernow as "active" and this isnt a laptop. My guess this is because the windows update d/l and installed an amd chip driver which was for a laptop cpu. Just what I've been thinking of.
RP Racing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-14-04, 04:39 PM   #6
Voltron

Sandra has a battery voltage reading to for some boards.
Voltron is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-21-04, 10:26 PM   #7
najames

Wink Interesting topic

I have a Shuttle "Hot 567" that started life as a Pentium 200MMX. Last year Newegg FORCED me to dig it out of the scrap heap and buy a K6-2 500 CPU for about $16 to try to upgrade it. Yes they are STILL selling them here and they are down to $15. I opeded the knife edge case which leaves me with bloody stubs every single time and swapped processors, set the multiplier to 2x and the bus speed to 75mhz (runs @ 6x75), dredged up some extra RAM from the scrap heap, oops the TX chipset has a max of 256mb, and now have a screaming (not) AMD 450mhz Linux box.

After all this time it STILL has the original battery in it!! I wondered when it will die and thought it would likely do as others suggest loose settings. All confirmed now here!!

Oh here's the link so you can also rush out and by a shiny new K62-500.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-166&depa=1
najames is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-24-04, 12:06 PM   #8
Lunar Wolf
Disabled

Sure sign is the time/date not being kept.
Lunar Wolf is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > General Motherboards
General Motherboards