• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help before I take this video card back to the store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trimble

Registered
I have a PNY brand GEForce FX5700 Personal Cinema video card. I just bought it last weekend.

The video card functions work fine, all games play correctly.

The TV function is not working. When I run the Forceware application that came with the card, I get one still image and the picture freezes. I get no sound from the application (although, I can hear sound coming from the TV portion of the card when I listen to the Line-In of my soundcard. The application is supposed to do time-shifting, but it isn't working whether the time-shift functions are on or off. The card includes an FM radio receiver, and it seems to work ok, but only if I listen through the soundcard's line-in port (note: the videocard has a phono jack output that connects to the sound card's input jack)

Is there another application that is designed to work with WDM tv cards that I can use (for free, or shareware) to prove that the TV function is either working or not working?

I only have a limited time to return this card to the store and get one without the TV functions, so I need to prove whether or not it's working at all as fast as I can.

Please help.

I don't know if this would change anything, but what drivers are you using? If you're using the 6x.xx series, try swtching back to the latest 5x.xx drivers.

I'm using the 56.77 drivers. I tried the newest drivers from Nvidia for all video cards, and the application reported that there was no TV card installed.

Then, I tried the VIVO/TV drivers from Nvidia, but they didn't even install, because it seems they don't support any 5700 cards (5600 and 5800, but no 5700).

I removed the add-in network card, as the on-board lan card IS working.

I noticed that my PS is only 250 watts. I hear people recommend 300 watts to run these newer nvidia cards. I disconnected all other components from the PS (two cdrom drives are disconnected, as are the case fan and floppy drive. Would that reduce the draw on the powersupply enough to help run the card? or do I TRUELY need a 300 watt PS? Why?

Doesnt sound like a PSU problem. I suggest you take it back and get an Ati All-in-Wonder card, it has all that has and more. The 9600 aiw is about in that price range.

im gonna agree with yuriman, NV may have arguably gotten the performance crown back, but it still doesnt hold a candle to the all in wonder line from ati.

Back