• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does an Opteron 64 bit chip have over a Athlon chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

For a normal everyday user like myself what are the pros and cons of an opteron with 64bit capability over a Althon chip with 64bit capability?

The Opteron will have Dual Channel DDR (depending on the platform you'll chose for A64, like Socket 754 single channel or Socket 939 dual channel)
The opteron motherboards are more expensive, as they are more expensive to produce
Opterons require ECC/Registered RAM which is more expensive. Also they run at 166MHz for RAM speed AFAIK, but not sure on that.
I don't see any reason to go with an opteron, unless you're going to build a server. Either get a S754 system now, or wait a couple of months till the s939 chips become more affordable.

I am pretty sure that the opterons are meant for multi cpu servers, where clustering would be involved. Like the Athlon MP and the intel Xeon chips, these are just the new name for them...

hitechjb1 said:
Socket 940 (FX or Opteron)
- 1 MB L2 (only)
- 128-bit based memory bus (dual channel)
- requires registered memory modules
- Opteron has provision for MP configuration, via coherent HT links

Opteron is included in the context of socket 940 and A64 FX.
An Opteron is basically an A64 FX (1 MB L2, dual channel memory controller w/ 128-bit memory bus) with the same internal core (SledgeHammer) with a few extra capabilities such as the coherent HT links used for connecting to other processors via HT bus for building multi-processor system.

- Socket 940 covers the Opteron and FX CPU. The socket 940 Opteron is for MP and servers applications. Since connecting for MP, the HT links and ports of the CPU require coherent links and they are different than that of a FX. The internal core of a FX is the same as that of an Opteron.

For complete post:
Different CPU and system platforms (940, 754, 939) (post 4)

Back