• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Observations of new setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neco

Well.. The whole thing isn't new.

I gave my WB and Core the hot water / toilet bowl cleaner, treatment.

I've finally got a case where everything fits inside, however I have come to be reminded about why having it all inside never sets well with me. The temps are just plain higher, when it comes to my particular situation.

I have a beautiful new case, with the core at the bottom front, with a fan shrouded to it. I also have an unshrouded low speed span blowing air into the case at the core. Though distance between is somewhat iffy (not much at all).

The weather is warm here, and since I prefer a fair balance of silience vs performance, my case temp seems to hover between 30 - 30C. Hot to some perhaps, but it goes up when the panel comes off, so I believe its just a matter of fan speed.

My CPU idles at around 40C, and after TOAST for 5h:35n it maxes with an occasional peak of 47C. Given the closed environment, warm case air, 1.9v on the CPU and a 300mhz overclock (T-Bred A, 1500+ I believe; at 1.7ghz) and in light of the fact the difference between idle and load is a mere 7C.

I feel overall satisfied. However in the future I may have to improve my carpentry skills so I can just make a fake Prommie setup type box, lol.

This is the only shot I will show atm. I took lots during my project, but have to finish the whole article. It looks a bit cramped there, yes.. And not the case I wanted originally, but things happened and thats what I ended up with.. Note: the core is sitting up more properly now than in that pic. The system is unfilled.

I do need to suck some of the wate rout tho... coz it just filled faster than I thought despite shakings and turnings.. So I need to get room for Antifreeze in there asap

Attachments

• DSCF0294.JPG
    DSCF0294.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 101
I think what Maximus Faticus is referring to (and I would agree) is that with the radiator not sealed to the outside of the case you may be getting some amount of recirculated case air into the rad.

Case air tending to be at least slightly warmer than ambient air, this may be increasing temps a bit.

A shroud from the front of the rad to the intake fan may help...
Another thing that can help quite a bit, especially in warmer areas, is to use a "sidewinder" radiator. Instead of going front to back with the rad, go side to side with the rad intake and exhaust BOTH connected to room air on opposite sides of the case.
Keeps hot rad air out of the case and cooler air flowing through.
Next best thing to an external "water box" and more portable. :)

Well I've thuroughly looked over my options, and had certain requirements for the setup (i.e no cutting the case to hell and back). A box may be next one day, as I've always wanted to do one. But for now I have a system inside the case that can now be moved easily so I'm all around pleased.

you might want to consider using some 120X38mm fans instead of the 120X25mm if they are moved externally. Additionally, add another shroud to the other fan if possible. You may squeeze out a little more performance but I don't think by too much. Like I said, it's a consideration.

Back