• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display Corruption!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Hey folks. My computer was down for about a week or so (the rig in my sig) awaiting a new PSU. The old one, a Fortron 530w, didn't blow anything, it just was doing same strange voltage fluctuations. That's not the point. I put everything back together today, and everything seems fine except for some weird display corruption issues. The card is drawing lines on the screen, giving me a checkerboard effect, etc., whether I'm in Windows, 2D apps, or the BIOS. That means it's definitely not an overclocking or driver issue. This card worked fine before at these exact same settings - I haven't changed anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

What I've Tried:
Cleaning the AGP slot with cloth and alcohol
Cleaning the card with alcohol
Cleaning the card's contacts with alcohol (worked once before)
Remounting the waterblock

PLEASE help me with this, if you could...I'd like to have my rig back up.

I know this might not be it, but just to be sure, try turning back your video card clock back to stock and see if you still get the corruption.

^might be worth a try.

Another thing, maybe the new PSU can't supply your system with enough power. Judging by your impressive overclock, you're system is really asking for power. By the way, when you say you got a new PSU, was it a replacement of your old one or a new one?

No, it was a replacement - another Fortron 530w. These things are so solid...:D

I tried dropping the clocks back anyway, and still nothing. Also dropped AGP frequency down to 50mhz, tried adjusting AGP voltage...nothing seems to work.

Both of those were good thoughts though. I wonder if I can somehow just let it burn itself back in?

I would have to say that it sounds like your monitor is going. Try moving you monitor cord around(the one that hooks to your rig), and see if that helps. If not, it may be time to get a new monitor.

Monitor is perfectly fine. I've been running it on another PC for the last couple weeks. Never have had a problem with it.

sounds like bad vram to me. anytime i have ever had checkerboards its been caused by vram.

So...what? It's going to be like this forever?

I don't get it. It was perfectly fine...:confused:

Do you possibly have a spare video card lying around or a friend that could borrow you one that you could try in your rig? If you still get the corruption with the new card, then you can rule out the bad video card, but if you don't, then it's probably time for a RMA for your current card.

Yeah, the video card I just tried works fine. :( Video card can't be RMA'd - I've attached some heatsinks and ramsinks, and it was a refurb anyway. Sigh...the card doesn't even POST anymore.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a nice bath in alcohol. If that doesn't revive it...hmm...I dunno. I'm just about to leave for college, and I'd rather not have to afford a new card.

Alright, gave my card a good rubdown with alcohol, reseated the waterblock, and cleared the CMOS. It's booting again, but I have the same, or similar corruption as before.

No one else has any ideas?

*EDIT/UPDATE*

Flashed in a new XT BIOS - everything looks the same as before. :-/

Flashing was easier than I thought though.

Last edited:
johan851 said:
Alright, gave my card a good rubdown with alcohol, reseated the waterblock, and cleared the CMOS. It's booting again, but I have the same, or similar corruption as before.

No one else has any ideas?

*EDIT/UPDATE*

Flashed in a new XT BIOS - everything looks the same as before. :-/

Flashing was easier than I thought though.

Wait, so everything looks the same as before you flashed it (so you're getting corruption) or before all this happened. (no corruption, problem solved) If you mean the latter, then wow, amazing that flashing it into an XT solved your proglem. But I'd better not assume...

Yeah, everything's the same as in the corruption looks exactly the same.

Guess it's time for a new card. Shoot.

I got a hold of and tried another AGP card. It's not the AGP slot, the borrowed Radeon 9700 works fine.
What do you plan on getting for your next card?
I was thinking an X800 of some sort, but they're just too expensive. The 9800 Pro seems the best bang for the buck right now, and I'm just going to get another one. I've been very happy with that card, it's it's $250 cheaper than the cheapest X800 Pro's I can find.

Back