• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory possibly causing random freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Well I am still getting random freezing with my rig. at first I thought it was the 6800gt consuming too much power. So I upgraded to a 550W antec PSU. Rails are steady during the freezes. Alright, so I thought maybe it's my hard drives going. So I replace both my 7200rpm IDE 2mb buffer drives, with 2 SATA drives. Okay it still happens.

So I'm thinking it's the memory. It's not overclocked. In fact its under clocked. Right now it is at 183fsb. The memory is refurbished Kingston Valueram.

Now the freezes occure when large files are finished downloading and are being transfered to the desktop. Or when large files are being extracted from an installer. This all tends to make me believe its the memory. I am going to run Memtest86 and post back with the results.

Just happened when I finished download the Nalu Demo.

The only other culprit is the mobo, and it better not be, because if it is, I'm going A64. But I would like to get at least a year out of this board.

BIOS. I had a similar issue with my 6800GT. Infact it began to artifract on BIOS. Turned out to be a half corrupted BIOS chip. Try reflashing. That should fix some of those issues.

ok flashed the bios again with 6/19, and I did it via dos, by making a bootable disk. Does it take very long? Mine has been going for about 10 minutes now

It shouldn't take very long...what point is it at right now?

Keep in mind Sent that flashing on the DFI's is a nerve wracking experience. It's not easy like an NF7-S - you run a fair chance of corrupting the BIOS every time you do it. Stupid DFI...:rolleyes:

Freezes usually suggest CPU, not memory. Have you tried upping your CPU voltage a notch? I hope you did that before you started buying new parts left and right...:eek:

Hmm.. I'm having similar issues on my VNF3-250. I also see some artifacting if I press my keyboard in the BIOS. Should I reflash it.. and what program is recommended to do that? (The VNF3-250 doesn't come with one [that works], so I downloaded one)

Then it sounds like something's wrong with the flash dicecca112. It should take 4 minutes or so tops.

Did you check your floppy drives for errors? Do you have a BIOS savior?

I think you may just have to cross your fingers and reboot the thing. Can't think of anything else you could possibly do.

Award Utility it is packaged with the DFI Boards. And yes the flash was succesfull and but no clue if it worked.

I am still getting the random stalling. Happens now when I run something like ad-aware and move files from a cd to my disk at the same time

Try slowing down the FSB just a little. I have a stick of BH-6 that passes memtest perfectly and the computer runs prime95 with no problems. If I let if fold though, it will repeatedly lock the computer after an hour or so. This is in an Nforce2 Soltek board. Going from 200MHz to 195MHz FSB made it folding stable running 2-2-2 timing. It was not a cpu limit, the cpu was good for 100-200MHz more. It's only stable if you can run the most severe applications and the computer doesn't crash or corrupt anything.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. My system goes through these temper tantrums sometimes. If the fsb is too high, then even if the system is prime stable, it will randomly freeze occasionally. I just drop the fsb down 1 or 2 and then it will stablize and I keep on going. Although it might be my psu, since it really sucks. I'm getting a Fortron 530W, so I probably will be able to eliminate that out of the equation here pretty soon.

Back