• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PDP Systems 2-3-2-5 ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artyboy

It's $170 a gig which seems like an insane price for pc3200 with 2-3-2-5 timings. The closest ram with the same timings is $209 on Newegg. I already placed my order for it but I still have time to cancel. Has anyone had any experience with it? I don't need it to overclock too much. If it can hit 240 fsb in my A64 system I'll be happy. It's got 5 stars and nothing but great reviews from people who have bought it on Newegg. I was just wondering if there was something about this RAM that would make me want to avoid it.

Hmm..all that I know about them is that they use Mosel 5ns ICs. sry if thats not much help. There is a review of them somewhere, try googling them.

Ive read a view reviews about them, and they were all good. Havent heard anything bad yet. Havent used the RAM yet either though.

I read some reviews and it looks very very promising. It was either this stuff or the pqi. The pqi was $40 more for the same timings so I thought I'd give these a shot.

Artyboy said:
I read some reviews and it looks very very promising. It was either this stuff or the pqi. The pqi was $40 more for the same timings so I thought I'd give these a shot.

cant beat the price, good chance they are micron -5bc/5bg chips or maybe even ch5. when u get it can u post results and peek under the hs to see what chips they are employing?? thnx

I have tried it but it was not good at all. Just letting you know.

I'll definately be checking under the heatsinks and I'll probably test it in my p4 2.8 rig, my 2000+ xp rig and my a64 rig just to see how it does in each of them. If it sucks then I'll just stick it in my xp rig, sell the ram in it and get a gig of pqi for my a64. The way I look at it, this stuff is only $30 more expensive than the cheapest 1 gig kit of value ram on newegg. It's hard to argue with that price even if it turns out to be subpar. I've never taken my 2000+ over 200 fsb because of the lack of adequate cooling. My intel motherboard is about as cheap as they come so I won't be able to overclock that, either. My a64 board is an asus k8v se deluxe and supposedly this RAM doesn't perform very well above default settings on it. If nothing else I'll just make sure that it runs stable and at spec on each of the boards at stock settings. After all, any RAM that can do 2-3-2-5 at stock settings should be able to hit 230-250 fsb with looser timings, right?

Artyboy said:
I'll definately be checking under the heatsinks and I'll probably test it in my p4 2.8 rig, my 2000+ xp rig and my a64 rig just to see how it does in each of them. If it sucks then I'll just stick it in my xp rig, sell the ram in it and get a gig of pqi for my a64. The way I look at it, this stuff is only $30 more expensive than the cheapest 1 gig kit of value ram on newegg. It's hard to argue with that price even if it turns out to be subpar. I've never taken my 2000+ over 200 fsb because of the lack of adequate cooling. My intel motherboard is about as cheap as they come so I won't be able to overclock that, either. My a64 board is an asus k8v se deluxe and supposedly this RAM doesn't perform very well above default settings on it. If nothing else I'll just make sure that it runs stable and at spec on each of the boards at stock settings. After all, any RAM that can do 2-3-2-5 at stock settings should be able to hit 230-250 fsb with looser timings, right?
that is yer call. However, I just told you what I have experienced with that ram. I remember they used Mosel IC on the ram. For me, it didn't even run on my rig with 2-3-2 at 200. But that is yer money and stuff so I just tell you how was the ram works for me.
But hey... who knows it might work for u :). good luck.

Well it's already been shipped so it's too late to cancel the order now. What kind of experience did you have with it? What were your system specs? Did you overclock them at all? All that you said in your first post was that it wasn't good ram. Your second post was a little more detailed but I'd really like to have some details.

I used it on the sys in my sig. And as I said it didn't run at 200 with 2-3-2 setting. I could get it up to like 210 or something like that ( I dont really remember) with 2.5-3-3.

I am glad I saw this thread!

Thanks for the heads up there Tat. I was going to order some of this ram, price seems great, and I have seen good reviews on it. I have the NF7 also, and mine seems pretty picky about ram. I think I will just save up for an extra week and get the Corsair XMS or something.

Have a great one!

E

The NF2 boards don't fair well with a lot of RAM out there, which is why I dumped AMD last winter. Intel rigs seem to really love the PDP and clevor has tested it thoroughly and agrees it is some good stuff for the price.

Unfortunately my intel board is a real piece of crap. If I don't decide to sell the system then I'll probably be buying an Abit board within the next month or so. I'd like to have it around for no better reason than testing. My A64 motherboard is a VIA chipset and my dfi board isn't picky about RAM at ALL. Some of the crap RAM that I've had running in dual channel in it just amazes me. I haven't had a compatibility issue with it yet. I guess that we'll see.

NF7-S and ram

I have tried OCZ performance 2x512, prime fails in under 5 mins. I have also tried Geil value ram 2x512, no love with either. The computer ran like a demon with the 1g of OCZ, just unstable. I can't complain too much about the NF7, it got a newbie from 1.83 to 2.22 or 2.3 without too much trouble.

I am planning on building one of those AMD 64bit computers soon, so I think the Corsair XMS is the way to go. It might work on this setup, who knows. If anyone knows, let me know.

E

SPQQKY said:
The NF2 boards don't fair well with a lot of RAM out there, which is why I dumped AMD last winter. Intel rigs seem to really love the PDP and clevor has tested it thoroughly and agrees it is some good stuff for the price.

Do you have a link to Clevor's testing of the PDP?

I have seen his comments on the PQI with the Samsung chips, as well as the Crucial Ballistix, to name a few, but haven't seen his comments on this PDP ram. He tests a lot of ram on a wide variety of boards so he is one of the better sources for how a certain line of memory performs.

Below is a link to a thread at PC Perspective on this ram, but keep in mind that this should be of interest mostly to AMD guys.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=347888&page=1&pp=15

Here's a stupid newbie question. I just got the RAM in but I'm not sure which timings to change in the bios. Default timings are 8-3-3-3-2.5 in the bios. What do I have to change to get it to equal the advertised 2-3-2-5?

This is on a dfi ultra infinity

So far with the following settings
T(RAS) 11
T(RCD-Read) 3
T(RCD-Write) 3
T(RP) 2
CAS Latency 2.0
I fail prime95 within 5 minutes. 3dmark01 also crashes before it's finished every time.

Back