• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

higher fsbs from nf7s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geeman74

whats the best way to get more from my chip?
should i lower the multiplier and up the fsb?
keep going giving it more voltage,
do i need to alter ram timings?
my idle temps 42 degs at the mo

Yeah, a faster FSB is better than a high multiplier, but it will need more vcore and vdimm, and probably more vdd (chipset). Adjust the timings as needed, but you will probably need to loosen them.

You should first get some better RAM if you wanna reach higher FSB, the PC2700 won't cut it. Get at least PC3200 or better PC3500-4000

Really that depends on the pc2700. I had some Kingston pc2700 from a HP computer that had Hynix chips on it, and I took it up to about 235 fsb. That was a rare case though. Most ram only overclocks about 30-40 Mhz, so you'd be stuck around a 200 fsb.
I have a vdd mod, and have taken my vdd up to 1.9V. But I have lapped my NB, put AS5 on it, and bought a Thermalright NB-1 to cool it off. So I don't have to worry about temps. If you have the stock cooler on there, you probably should stay around 1.6V, and that should be all that you'd need up to about 240 fsb or above.

You should also get a modded BIOS if you don't have one all ready. There is a NF7 modded BIOS link in my sig. You'll want a cpc off BIOS since you have 1.5 gigs of ram. Also, to get a higher fsb, you'll have to do the L12 mod or wire trick to get over a 220 fsb, if your ram can get that high, make sure to use 2.8-2.9V vdimm to get the most out of your ram, and use looser timings than what came stock on your rig.

BTW, is that an unlocked desktop or a mobile 2600?

enduro said:
Really that depends on the pc2700. I had some Kingston pc2700 from a HP computer that had Hynix chips on it, and I took it up to about 235 fsb. That was a rare case though. Most ram only overclocks about 30-40 Mhz, so you'd be stuck around a 200 fsb.
I have a vdd mod, and have taken my vdd up to 1.9V. But I have lapped my NB, put AS5 on it, and bought a Thermalright NB-1 to cool it off. So I don't have to worry about temps. If you have the stock cooler on there, you probably should stay around 1.6V, and that should be all that you'd need up to about 240 fsb or above.

BTW, is that an unlocked desktop or a mobile 2600?

think its a unlocked desktop i know its not a mobile,
i can get my ram running at 420mhz with no probs and 1.8v
looking at doing the l12 mod in the next few days, when i print the page off so i know what im doing

This might sound strange but, from experience with 3 NF7's, leaving them run in at 166-200 fsb dramatically increases the max FSB. From new 1 board ran ~ 220 was run it at 200, and eventaully maxed at ~ 233. The other 2 boards were second hand/refurd and BOTH run at over 260fsb single channel, and 235-240 dual.
There is also a sweetspot voltage wise. Try fiddling with AGP (dont set over 1.6, this *can* cause gfx cards to die) and vdd voltages to find the right balance. On this NF7, 1.6agp and 1.7vdd seem to work quite nicely.
Vdimm mod might be an idea, though most of the NF7's seem to overvolt to ~3.0v stock anways. A slightly rasied 3.3v line is a must for running over 3.0v as well.
Have a play about with some modded bioses too, stick a few on both CPC on and off and see how they perform. Check the southbridge as well, some get rather toasty, others are ok. If its hot then sink it :D
Finally, L12 mod is worth doing if you have a 133 fsb based chip (ie t/bred, or XP-M) and *might* be worth considering for a 166 fsb chip (mod to 200)

What is this the avatars featuring women's butts thread ;) :p I count three so far. I didn't know about the vagp cause cards to die. That's interesting. I always thought that the vagp was the bus voltage, because you up the vagp when you're overclocking the pci/agp frequency. Hmmmmmm.

enduro said:
What is this the avatars featuring women's butts thread ;) :p I count three so far. I didn't know about the vagp cause cards to die. That's interesting. I always thought that the vagp was the bus voltage, because you up the vagp when you're overclocking the pci/agp frequency. Hmmmmmm.

It is, however sure I've read somewhere that some cards have died... Was playing safe didnt wanna recommend summit to find the card got smoked. Ran me 9800pro @ 1.7 vAGP for a while, but didnt help OC's so went back to 1.5 :)
Maybe there should be a butt admiration thread somewhere ;)

Back