• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cashe Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are talking about a TBred and a barton that run at the same speed, no. The Barton kicks *** mainly cause of the extra 256 kb of cache.

It's the same core but set to different speeds and default FSB, and it has a PR rating to compete with Celerons, not to be compared with Athlon XPs.

But you're asking because you'd like to get a the best overclock out of a CPU with best value, right?

If yes, then your decision is going to be influenced by the rest of your system, like RAM because these new cpus are multiplier locked.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier.

So post the specs of the entire rest of the system you plan to get and then people can tell you which Athlon XP is best suited for you...

I think that my CPU is T-Bred.I plan to oc it to 3200+ or 3000+.So i can oc it to these speedsor i will need a Barton CPU?

If you have PC3200 RAM then you can overclock the FSB to over (dual) 200 FSB with either Thoroughbred or Barton so where it says 400 FSB in the chart, you can do that with any of them.

However, new CPUs are multiplier locked

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

This means that with PC3200 you can go over 200 FSB but if the multiplier is locked too high, you may have a problem because the MHz speed part with OK cooling can be maybe 2300 MHz on average.

So if you have a multiplier unlocked CPU then you can set it to
200 x 10.5 which = 2100 Mhz which what a "400 FSB" 3000+ Barton is.

200 x 11 = 2200 Mhz which is what a "400 FSB" 3200+ Barton is.

You may need to increase Vcore voltage to achieve this overclock + watch your temperatures.

My temps now are perfect at 1.82 Vcore.27c Case,32c CPU Idle and 45c CPU full load (DivX encoding).But my mobo does not support 400Mhz FSB and does not support CPUs over 2800+.

All right, so you have a 2600+ T-Bred, not Barton.

2350 MHz is an excellent overclock for a Thoroughbred CPU :thup:.
A few people reported here in the past not being able to go over 2300 MHz with Volcano 12 cooling.

I would enjoy this nice desktop Thoroughbred overclock until you can afford a Socket 939 Athlon 64 updgrade.

Athlon 64 systems perform 15%-30% better in most cases when compared to Athlon XP Barton systems running at same MHz.

Last edited:
As i told you before 2350 is estimated (by SiSoft Sandra Standard 2004)at 2900+.So I cant go over 2800+.Now i am at 2250 (2800+) with 180FSB and 12.5 multiplier

That's sounds about right. 2250 is exactly the kind of an overclock that your system is expected to do.

I know you board can't do 200 FSB but how about 187 FSB x 12, that's better then 180 FSB x 12.5, because FSB is very important for overal system performance.

If I was in your place, I would stay with that overclock for this system, I would upgrade the motherboard together with CPU and cooliing when you find a good deal on Socket 939 Athlon 64s.

P.S. Power Supply is very important for overclocking, you should put the brand of your power supply in your sig.

When i feel tha my system does not compatible or cary on the new applications then i will change it to Athlon 64.For now the best for me Overlocking.Socket 939 is Athlon 94 FX?

Sotiris said:
As i told you before 2350 is estimated (by SiSoft Sandra Standard 2004)at 2900+.So I cant go over 2800+.Now i am at 2250 (2800+) with 180FSB and 12.5 multiplier

2250 is faster than a 2800+

Thats not a bad overclock actually, for that chip.

Back